Maiden burn of my new Oslo!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

grommal

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Mar 4, 2009
Eastern PA
Hi folks.

First, I'd like to thank all of you for the great information and conversation on this site. It really helped me in my shopping for a new stove this spring.

Speaking of new stoves, our new Jotul Oslo F500 is in the middle of its maiden break-in burn as I type this. I feel like a kid on Christmas morning.

So, where are the pics????????

Congratulations. Nice stove! I hope it gives you many years of warmth.

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
So, where are the pics????????
I'll try to take some on burn #2 when the fire will be a little larger. Just a kindling fire this time around.

Although I have to say I'm impressed with the secondary combustion. All I have is a kindling fire that's been going for a half hour, stovetop is only 200F, and yet i have a ceiling of flame from the secondary burn. I was not expecting that until a larger, hotter fire.

Congrats. The Oslo is a very nice stove.

Hopefully you'll love your Oslo as much as I have with mine . . . a very good heating unit . . . puts out good heat and is a treat for the eyes when the fire is really cranking (trust me . . . you haven't seen anything yet when it comes to seeing this baby in action.)

firefighterjake said:
Hopefully you'll love your Oslo as much as I have with mine . . . a very good heating unit . . . puts out good heat and is a treat for the eyes when the fire is really cranking (trust me . . . you haven't seen anything yet when it comes to seeing this baby in action.)
Last night it was in the upper 20s where I live, and we had finished the three break-in burns, so it was time to really fire it up for a night's heat. We burned it all evening on a small load, and then filled 'er up for the overnight. The secondary burn put on quite a show, and the stove performed beautifully. Very easy to control. Not at all finicky in adjusting the air like our VC used to be. Ran it about 1/4 open on the air control overnight, and had a large bed of coals in the morning with the stovetop still over 300F after 8 hours. Not too shabby at all.

The only downside I noted so far is that we'll have to learn to be more patient to establish a strong, hot draft up the chimney before opening the front doors. We spilled a little smoke a couple of times. The old VC, with its big damper to open when bypassing the cat, was maybe a little more foolproof in this regard.

I wanted to take a nice picture of the internal firework display to post here and use for my avatar, but it looks like my daughter made off with our digital camera when she went back to college. Pictures might have to wait until the fall.

Great stove, you'll love it. Just wondering, how many doors do you have in front?. Mine only has one and when you open it to clean the glass all the ash falls on the floor. Be safe.
Ed

Good luck with the Oslo . When looking for another stove the Oslo was on the top of my list as a equal to the Encore but I happen to find a Encore in a vacation home that was hardly used and saved some $$$ .

grommal said:
firefighterjake said:
Last night it was in the upper 20s where I live, and we had finished the three break-in burns, so it was time to really fire it up for a night's heat. We burned it all evening on a small load, and then filled 'er up for the overnight. The secondary burn put on quite a show, and the stove performed beautifully. Very easy to control. Not at all finicky in adjusting the air like our VC used to be. Ran it about 1/4 open on the air control overnight, and had a large bed of coals in the morning with the stovetop still over 300F after 8 hours. Not too shabby at all.

The only downside I noted so far is that we'll have to learn to be more patient to establish a strong, hot draft up the chimney before opening the front doors. We spilled a little smoke a couple of times. The old VC, with its big damper to open when bypassing the cat, was maybe a little more foolproof in this regard.

I wanted to take a nice picture of the internal firework display to post here and use for my avatar, but it looks like my daughter made off with our digital camera when she went back to college. Pictures might have to wait until the fall.

The lightshows are pretty spectacular . . . oftentimes at night right berfore I head to bed I turn off the large screen plasma TV . . . preferring to watch the fire in the Oslo for a few minutes in its place. Sounds like you're getting even better heat out of it than me!

I typically prefer using the side door . . . I have noticed when using the front door that it does tend to have some smoke spillage . . . although I am usually using the front door on the initial start up when the draft hasn't really been established very well. Also, as Ed mentioned, the one drawback is that the Oslo does tend to allow the ash to build up and this ash tends to drop on to the front lip and hearth when you open the door.

Good Luck, it's been a good stove for us. I did get the optional front screen 9 years ago. They say you can run it open. I've never used it or tried running with the front door open. I stopped opening the front to clean the glass, during the burnings season, just a mess of ash that falls out. If I need to clean the glass I do it through the side or a good hot burn.

xman23 said:
Good Luck, it's been a good stove for us. I did get the optional front screen 9 years ago. They say you can run it open. I've never used it or tried running with the front door open. I stopped opening the front to clean the glass, during the burnings season, just a mess of ash that falls out. If I need to clean the glass I do it through the side or a good hot burn.
We bought the screen with our old VC stove, used it once, and never again. So, I did not bother this time.

The front door ash problem is just a really stupid design detail on an otherwise well thought-out stove. It's just built to catch ash in that pocket right above the door bottom gasket. I have some ideas about mitigating the problem, but I won't get around to it until the summer. I'll post here in the fall if it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.