Maine Choice and New England Wood Pellets on sale this weekend: $209 a ton!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladderlieu

Hearth Supporter
Nov 27, 2008
North Central MA
Hamshaw Lumber located in Keene NH and Orange MA is having their anniversary sale April 8 thru April 11. They are offering Maine Choice or NEWP for $209 a ton picked up. They'll deliver as well but didn't state a price. Not sure about the Maine Choice, but the NEWP for that price is a pretty fair deal. Time to stock up!

This must be left over stock. The gentlemen that I reserved 4 tons with stated they don't expect to be running until the begining of May.

Sounded like a pretty good deal so I ordered 3 tons (NEWP)
They are also offering the Maine pellets for the same price $ 209 ton
but wasn't too sure. Know some people who have been satisfied with NEWP so I went with those.
Had been using Granules but at $ 260 ton plus $ 23 ton delivery 3 tons = $ 815.70 delivered

Also I only paid $ 26.00 for delivery of all 3 tons total $ 653 delivered

If I end up liking these then I'll probably just plan on buying at the Hamshaw yearly sale.

I did a group order with Hamshaw last year,my neighbors and I bought 10 tons (279 per ton) plus delivery which I think was 16 per drop.We all went with the Maine Choice and I suspect none will use that brand again.Had good reports but the NEWP's where better IMO.Hamshaw was great BTW would buy from them again.

Just an interesting update.

I called them today because I had not heard on my delivery.
Just wanted to make sure I didn't get lost (Told them they can del Oct if they want)
She told me they sold 1400 tons of pellets Yes fourteen hundred tons
during the sale (3 day sale!) and their delivery trucks are out stright right now.
(They also sold tons of other products - shingles - lumber so on at the sale)

Sure sounds like alot to me.
(Not an unusually large place)

Steve NH said:
Just an interesting update.

I called them today because I had not heard on my delivery.
Just wanted to make sure I didn't get lost (Told them they can del Oct if they want)
She told me they sold 1400 tons of pellets Yes fourteen hundred tons
during the sale (3 day sale!) and their delivery trucks are out stright right now.
(They also sold tons of other products - shingles - lumber so on at the sale)

Sure sounds like alot to me.
(Not an unusually large place)

Ive heard good things about Hamshaw, but, well, here folks go again, buying pellets that arent on the ground, allowing for later delivery.....hope it gets covered for this year......hope nothing happens to the mill, etc......otherwise, it will be yet another "woe is me" cryfest here in a few months........

I think Ladderlieu might be mistaken as far as those being Maine Choice. I think their the Athen pellets cause their everywhere & there are only stragglers around of the Choice pellets. Muss

Pellet deals are gonna be abound this season, I think.... Our sell price for Cubex just dropped from 300/ton to 260 a ton for the next couple months. We got a screeching deal on an early buy. Just got the 1st 22 tons in yesterday. They're gonna go like hotcakes, I think, 'cause we've had a hard time keeping them in the yard at 300/ton, I can only imagine what it's gonna be like at 260/ton.

muss said:
I think Ladderlieu might be mistaken as far as those being Maine Choice. I think their the Athen pellets cause their everywhere & there are only stragglers around of the Choice pellets. Muss

Nope, not mistaken. Read it with my own two eyes in their sales ads. I didn't order any, so I can't say if people got a "we're all out of those, but we have these instead" deal when they did order them. Hamshaw has always been pretty decent folk to deal with so I think they weren't trying to do that.

I just bought 4 tons of new production Maine's Choice Wood Pellets. I saw a copy
of the Twin Ports test results and the ash, heat, and density are great. They are still
a blend of softwood/hardwood. I burned them last year and was very unhappy
when their dryer blew up. I paid $215 per ton at Spring Brook Ice and Fuel in Waterville
Me.

We used (10 tons between 4 homes in our neighborhood ) them last year and they where pretty poor,apparently others felt the same.
hope they got their act together but will wait until they have a couple seasons of quality pellets before I try them again.

sandy888 said:
I just bought 4 tons of new production Maine's Choice Wood Pellets. I saw a copy
of the Twin Ports test results and the ash, heat, and density are great. They are still
when their dryer blew up. I paid $215 per ton at Spring Brook Ice and Fuel in Waterville
Me.

How about posting a copy of these test results, that would make your 3 post seem more legit.

Competition is a good thing. It seems like no other industry has the positive impacts of competition anymore. Prices just seem to keep increasing. Purchased Northern pellets manufactured by Lauzon for $230 pre-buy. Last year paid $259.

BJN644 said:
sandy888 said:
Me.

How about posting a copy of these test results, that would make your 3 post seem more legit.

I agree,for me and many others who got those bad pellets last season I suspect we will wait and see if they can make ALL the pellets that they sell worth buying not just some. I suspect they will still have growing pains and will stay away.

Status
Not open for further replies.