Maine cord

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moosestache

Apr 11, 2008
Southern Maine
I have read questions about this a couple times. How big is a cord, and did I get a full cord delivered, so I thought I'd quote Maine law, which is probably different than other places. First of all, a stacked cord, as is often mentioned measures 4'x4'x8' when it is stacked. Now lots of wood sellers don't deliver the wood and stack it at your house to show how many cords you have. In Maine, the state came up with another definition of a cord, which is a "loose thrown cord" Now a loose thrown cord is 180 cubic feet, if you have 12" or 16" wood, or 195 cubic feet, if you have 24" wood. You can stack your wood after it has been dumped to see how it works out, but as long as the truck body contains 180 cubic feet of wood you have gotten what you ordered. Here is the actual Maine rules taken from their website.

§ 19. 5. Firewood
Firewood is a substantial supplier of our energy needs. Mainers burn nearly one million cords of
wood each year. A lot of people are buying wood, a lot of people are selling it, and a lot of buyers are
filing complaints about those sales.
Maine law prohibits the use of confusing terms in the sale of firewood such as “rack,” “pile” and
“truckload” since such terms are undefined and subject to various meanings. Maine law does provide
two definitions of a cord; one for a stacked cord, the other for a loose thrown cord.
A. Stacked Cord
A stacked or standard cord6 is a measure of wood, bark and air: 4 feet wide, 4 feet high and 8
feet long, or its equivalent, containing 128 cubic feet when the wood is ranked and well stowed.
“Ranked and well stowed” means that pieces of wood are placed in a row, with individual pieces
touching and parallel to each other, and stacked in a compact manner. Any voids that will
accommodate a stick, log or bolt of average dimensions to those in that pile must be deducted from the
measured volume.

B. Loose Thrown Cord
Maine law also defines a loose thrown cord7 as: “Fuel wood, when sold loose and not ranked and
well stowed, shall be sold by the cubic foot or loose cord, unless other arrangements are made between
the buyer and seller. When sold by the loose cord, the wood in any cord shall average either 12 inches,
16 inches, or 24 inches in length. When so sold, the volume of the cord shall be: a cord of wood 12 to
16 inches in length shall mean the amount of wood, bark and air contained in a space of 180 cubic feet;
and a cord of wood 24 inches in length shall mean the amount of wood, bark and air contained in a
space of 195 cubic feet.”
Firewood dealers usually deliver loose thrown cords. The volume of a loose thrown cord can best
be measured in a container, i.e., a truck. Once a loose thrown cord is stacked it should measure
somewhere between 115 and 124 cubic feet per cord.

C. Written Receipts
Maine law requires firewood dealers to give you a receipt8 for any sale of more than $20. The
receipt must include:
(1) Buyer’s and seller’s names and addresses;
(2) Date delivered;
(3) Quantity of wood delivered (and quantity upon which the price is determined if
different from the amount delivered);
(4) Price (please note: sellers cannot misrepresent the price of the wood nor
represent the price in any way that would mislead the buyer);9
(5) Description of wood (e.g., 50% red oak, rest mixed hardwood); and
(6) Statement of quality (e.g., dry or seasoned).
Insist upon a receipt. In case a dispute arises, it may be valuable evidence of what the dealer
promised to deliver.

The only other thing I wanted to mention is "seasoned wood" I looked real quick and couldn't find it, but my understanding is wood cut for three months is officially called seasoned. This same Maine guide, a little later on mentions 25% being the "seasoned" threshold, but also mentions drying for three summer months as making the wood seasoned, so I'm not quite sure whether a dealer has to show it has been cut for 3 summer months, or if he has to show its below 25% moisture content. Probably most would get around it by stating it had been seasoned for three months, but I'm not sure. Here is the Maine rule again.

D. Wood Buyer’s Tips
Shop for wood as you would for any product. Compare prices, type and quality of wood offered, its
seasoning, and delivery date.
Try to get your wood as far ahead of when you expect to use it as possible. Ideally, wood should be
seasoned at least one year before burning. To allow for maximum drying, stack your wood so that
plenty of air circulates through and around it. Cover the wood loosely, but don’t let the cover hang
over the sides and block air circulation. As a practical matter, firewood to be properly seasoned should
dry for at least a full three summer months, and even then wood at the bottom of the stack could still be
green. The Forest Service reports that it is a common consumer fraud to claim firewood is seasoned,
even though the wood has more than 25% moisture content.

Edited to finish my sentence.

There are laws attempting to manage the consumption of adult beverages while driving on public thoroughfares, too.

Adios Pantalones said:
I agree with everything you said- including speculation on that silly 3 month rule. Not sure if there's a question.

With few exceptions- 3 months is not long enough to dry a hardwood to below 25%

I had just read some arguments on another thread, that was closed, about how much was in a cord, and people stacking their wood to see how much they got and such. I found the Maine rules after searching quite a bit, so I thought it would be nice to let people, at least in Maine, know what they were supposed to be getting. I am usually not a big supporter of all of the rules that the legislature here in Maine deems necessary, but at least in this case it makes things pretty straightforward for everyone involved in the firewood business.

billb3 said:
There are laws attempting to manage the consumption of adult beverages while driving on public thoroughfares, too.
But in this case, a cheated buyer will lodge a complaint. These rules are setting the framework for civil transactions, not criminal acts.

I like that law. It's very impractical for firewood dealers to stack all their wood before selling to make sure it's measured right. Most just have piles and guesstimate a cord by the truck load.

Status
Not open for further replies.