Maine LP Tanks.... Lets Make This Easier....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ejhills

Hearth Supporter
Jun 26, 2008
Central Maine
So I'm looking to add hot water storage with 120 Gal lp tanks.

My problem, I think is that I live in Maine.

There are so many meth labs up here using lp tanks that I can't even get a vendor to talk to me about retail.

Am I missing something. Perhaps we as a forum can clearly identify the issues that make this retail purchase difficult.

Perhaps we can share tips on how to approach lp vendors so that a reasonable price can be met on new or reconditioned tanks.

Perhaps we need to lobby Augusta so that the law, whatever it is, can be changed.

I would call the Sheriff's Office and ask to get on the list for the next one from a meth lab bust. Of course it will be full of anhydrous ammonia which is going to be a problem.

One of the problems on getting old tanks is the liability issue. If someone blows them self up by cutting up or welding them it becomes an insurrance issue. also they worry about the misuse, stolen tanks and people filling them up with another vender.
The tanks I get have been flared off and the data plates removed so they CAN"T be used again for propane .
The amish have been able to get them because they know that if something happens the amish won't sue. Says something for trial lawers don't it. ( I know the lawyers are doing us all a favor by protecting us and punishing the bad guys. Bla, Bla Bla)
leaddog

Hey les,

Maine has some good hunting can you say road trip with a load of tanks???

Rob

I ran into the same problem. When I finally got to the end of my rope with the whole thing, I asked some folks at the local hardware store. They truly looked puzzled when I told them the trouble I was having. They picked up the phone, and within a matter of minutes I had a brand new 500 gal tank reserved in my name. The guy who ordered it did have a propane license.

Turns out I decided not to purchase that one (1600.00) instead, I bought a used one from http://www.ahona.com/index.html where I purchased my EKO. I was much better off going this way, as the tank had several fittings welded in and virtually no smell because they start on fire when they cut into them. 800.00 dollars was alot better too. Installation was a breeze.

I must say I did get quite annoyed, and the last rude propane supplier I talked to got an earful. And yes, It all boils down to the lawyers.

There were only 5 deer left here in Oxford county at the beginning of the season. 3 of which were in the back of a pickup on Saturday with VT plates. So were down to 2 bucks now. Really, don't bother coming here to hunt.

I don't know where you are in Maine but I don't think we have the same restictions here in NH. A friend of mine has gotten 3 or 4 - 500 gallon ones for free.

I was told that there is a Gas company in Conway NH on Rt. 302 that has a yard full of used tanks. I'm trying to find out which co, but suspect White Mtn Propane? If I find out I'll let you know. You must be downeast if you are in the real heavy meth area.

atgreene said:
I was told that there is a Gas company in Conway NH on Rt. 302 that has a yard full of used tanks. I'm trying to find out which co, but suspect White Mtn Propane? If I find out I'll let you know. You must be downeast if you are in the real heavy meth area.

Don't waste your time, been there, tried that. They won't sell to terrorists like us.

Status
Not open for further replies.