Maine Wood Pellets...2 Bags Different Looks..??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigruckus

Jun 2, 2011
Northern Maine, Millinocket
Are these the same pellets..????.....both made by MWP company...wondering picked some up at WalMart...and the others from my stove shop...the ones with the stove on the front where WalMart pellets..They look the same when I opened the bags...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 791
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 698
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 663
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 681
Yup, one for box stores and one for the other retailers.

It is common practice.

Yep, same pellets. Cabin bag at stove shop and Stove bag at the box stores. I doubt you'll notice any difference between the 2 while burning.

I'd really like to see MWP at the box stores...

hey jay, we need to trade a couple bags, i know you have MWP.. :)

geek said:

Yep, Not sure I want to trade them though. Cause you might like them and then I might have trouble getting them again!(Just kidding buddy!)

Usual method of trading and what you trading with? Find anything I can't get around here?

This is what I got last year.

PELLETSTOVESHIT-64.jpg

This year I got the cabin ones, they are the blend, supposed to be the same as what I got last year, just different bag. I also got some of the 100% softwood ones, they look like this

DSCF4924.jpg

j-takeman said:
geek said:

Yep, Not sure I want to trade them though. Cause you might like them and then I might have trouble getting them again!(Just kidding buddy!)

Usual method of trading and what you trading with? Find anything I can't get around here?

nah, you got them all...lol

I have a few okies, cubex and bunch of somersets. I can probably send you 2 okies in a near future..

hossthehermit said:

PELLETSTOVESHIT-64.jpg

This year I got the cabin ones, they are the blend, supposed to be the same as what I got last year, just different bag. I also got some of the 100% softwood ones, they look like this

DSCF4924.jpg

I thought that MWP were hardwoods, your pic shows softwood, do they make both?

geek said:
j-takeman said:
geek said:

nah, you got them all...lol

I have a few okies, cubex and bunch of somersets. I can probably send you 2 okies in a near future..

I can get Okies pretty easy, But can't seem to be able to find Somersets.

2 Somersets for 2 MWP cabin bags(from pellet house) will work for me, If thats good for you?

If there is anything else you are looking for LMK.

2 sumersets is fine also.

Must be me, or something, ....

geek,
MWP (Athens) makes a premium blended hardwood/softwood, the ones with the cabin on the bag.
They also make a super premium 100% softwood pellet.

hossthehermit said:

PELLETSTOVESHIT-64.jpg

DSCF4924.jpg

I'm burning the MWP 100% softwood pellets right now...dam these are great also..real low ash...boy I might have to pig out on these also...cost is a bit high...$6.00 a bag ( wow) or $265.00 a ton here in northern mid-Maine......I bought 5 bags last week...real even sizes...all under a inch and clean inside the bag..they are alittle darker then their mixed pellets...but the ash is low.??..heat is not as hot as my Geneva hardwood pellets

bigruckus said:
I'm burning the MWP 100% softwood pellets right now...dam these are great also..real low ash...boy I might have to pig out on these also...cost is a bit high...$6.00 a bag ( wow) or $265.00 a ton here in northern mid-Maine......I bought 5 bags last week...real even sizes...all under a inch and clean inside the bag..they are alittle darker then their mixed pellets...but the ash is low.??..heat is not as hot as my Geneva hardwood pellets

SIB in Jay will deliver these for $235 I think. I think he has a waiting list though. Worth checking out maybe?

mepellet said:
bigruckus said:

SIB in Jay will deliver these for $235 I think. I think he has a waiting list though. Worth checking out maybe?

nice price. i have 4 ton of the mixed coming up from sib soon.
$219 delivered even up here in millinocket.
next time i'll get some of those softies too.

that close of a price difference makes it worth at least checking them out.

DANGER DANGER!!! I have burned through approx. 15-20 bags of the new Athens 100% softwood and they are horrible! The first few bags were great... good heat, low ash. Then I started noticing a huge amount of cresote build up. At the end of the 15-20 bags I had nearly .25 inch of cresote build up over a good portion of the interior of the stove. And let me tell you, it was not fun to get off. I used stove cleaner and scaped for 4 hours and im not finished. I ran out of cleaner... the combustion fan built up so much cresote behind it that it stopped the fan... stopping the stove. This is not ash... its hardend cresote!!! Almost seems like solid pitch from a tree in places! BEWARE!!!!! I purchased three tons thinking it was going to be my main pellet this year as the company told me they were going to burn hotter and cleaner than last years blend!

UGH!

knightray5271 said:
DANGER DANGER!!! I have burned through approx. 15-20 bags of the new Athens 100% softwood and they are horrible! The first few bags were great... good heat, low ash. Then I started noticing a huge amount of cresote build up. At the end of the 15-20 bags I had nearly .25 inch of cresote build up over a good portion of the interior of the stove. And let me tell you, it was not fun to get off. I used stove cleaner and scaped for 4 hours and im not finished. I ran out of cleaner... the combustion fan built up so much cresote behind it that it stopped the fan... stopping the stove. This is not ash... its hardend cresote!!! Almost seems like solid pitch from a tree in places! BEWARE!!!!! I purchased three tons thinking it was going to be my main pellet this year as the company told me they were going to burn hotter and cleaner than last years blend!

UGH!

Let's see you changed the fuel that you burned, did you also change your damper and/or feed restrictor if any on your stove?

Give it more air.

SmokeyTheBear said:
knightray5271 said:

UGH!

Let's see you changed the fuel that you burned, did you also change your damper and/or feed restrictor if any on your stove?

Give it more air.

I had to open my damper more...these did leave a dark finish on the inside of my stove box..but after I adjusted they were good pellets...I really like the Geneva Hardwood pellets...really hot and I also opened my damper with these...I have come to accept that each pellet is different and you have to adjust your stove for each one...Things I do...adjust the feed of the pellets up a little..seems to get a hotter flame and a whiter ash...also jump up the stove to medium from low to get a better hotter burn...and as mentioned above adjust the damper...my Thelin likes the damper open 3/4 to full to get the nice white greyish ash..really common sense..more air hotter flame..and check your flame color...and clean your stove..I clean my at least every 2 days...overkill..????...whatever it takes me 5 minutes..

Status
Not open for further replies.