Maintaining Optimal Fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Como said:
Were you able to burn off the creosote or did you have to get in there and clean them?
Getting at the heat tubes on an EB with the factory turbulator linkage is a major project. The 2 plates alone are not that big a deal, but the back plate connects to the flue, which normally means disassembling at least some part of the stack. Getting the creosote-encased turbs out of the tubes was awful and very time-consuming. So, after doing all of this work, I wasn't up for reassembling and trying to burn it off. The cleaning project was so much of a nightmare that this past Summer I changed the turb linkage, so that I can clean (brush) the tubes in season with only the top plate removed. Even though I have lots of dry wood now, I'm making sure that never happens again.

Status
Not open for further replies.