Majestic DVR33 Not lighting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Torinate

Nov 16, 2020
Ontario
Good afternoon.

I'm new here and hoping for a little assistance.

I have a Majestic DVR33. It's 14 years old and has been great until last winter. The unit started not to light when I would turn the wall switch on. It was finicky. I would have to turn the switch on and off a few times before the main burner would light. It would run fine for about 5 minutes then turn itself off. I could then turn the switch off then back on and it would run fine again. I never got around to doing anything with it before spring came so forgot all about it. We don't use the fireplace very often, but it would be great if it worked when we want it to!

Well, last night I went to turn it on and nothing. Flipped the switch and nothing. Tried the usual flip a few times but still nothing.

The pilot light remains on and has been fine. We just never turn it off.

I'm at a loss as to where to start to fix it. I'm a little resistant to have a service repair person come out yet without first trying to figure out if its something in my realm of fixing or not. And with COVID, money is a little tight...

Any and all thoughts and ideas welcomed!

Thanks for your assistance!

Take the wall switch plate off the wall & pull the switch.
Remove the two wires from the switch & touch them together.
What happens?

Ok. Sorry it took so long to answer back.
I removed the switch and touched them together and voila! It lit right up!

Stayed on perfectly while the were together.

So, is this indicative of a bad switch or point or a different issue. The switch is a regular wall switch, not a “lower voltage” type.

Is it best to just replace it with the same or look for a low voltage one? I’ve googled and it seems the low voltage type are crazy expensive compared to the regular ones.

Thanks for the assistance!