Majestic fireplace model WM42SX question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fred wark

Hearth Supporter
Mar 28, 2008
SE Michigan
A customer just purchased this foreclosed house which was built in 1996. It has 2 majestic fireplace, both model WM42SX, one of which has "traditional" firebox sides and back made of steel, the other firebox has a similar interior except that there is an additional steel plate mounted off of the back wall and is the same dimensions of that back wall. This extra plate is not flat, it is bent into a curve, which protrudes about 5 inches into the firebox. I do not know if this was manufacturer installed, or scabbed in. It does look like it was built by someone who knows how to work with heavy metal. Does anyone know what this extra piece in the firebox might be? Why would these two, apparently the same model, have this different firebox? Does anyone know where I can locate an installation/ operating manual for this fireplace?

It seems like something that is less then 20 years old (these fireplaces) should be fairly easy to get information about, but I can find nothing on the internet. The current homeowner spent several hours on the web, and on the telephone seeking information also. Are we coming to be an age of throw away fireplaces?

Thanks for any help you can provide

Fred Wark Olde England Chimney Pinckney MI

http://www.majesticproducts.com/products.asp?model=WMC

Theres the fireplace with links to the owners manual. These fireplaces were not throw away fireplaces. They are a very nice hybrid between an open "all the heat up the chimney" fireplace and an airtight. Good heat exchangers, good blowers, decent doors that when shut will minimize losing heat up the flue. Its a fireplace that back when I sold them I would tell folks they are good for 20 years with hard use. Never saw one with an extra piece like your mentioning.

Did you try to do a Majestic dealer search here:
http://www.majesticproducts.com/dealer_find.asp?T=Majestic Dealer Locator

Some folks out there have been installing Majestics for decades and may know the WM series in and out. I would try that. You'd be shocked at what a local fireplace shop may be able to teach you, if you find one that gives a crap about customer service (There are still some of us good ones out there)

Status
Not open for further replies.