1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

majically appearing sugar in my steamer

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by mikedengineer, Dec 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikedengineer

mikedengineer New Member

Loc:
    mentor(northeast), ohio
    I have a cast iron steamer on top of my wood stove that I fill up twice a day. When I came home yesterday it was empty, but there was a layer of whiteish "stuff" under a layer of black "stuff" in the bottom of it. It smelled like carmel or sugar... a sweet smell. As I cleaned it out I tried to figure out what it was and I came up maybe it's some kind of fungus. Now this morning it still smells like this just not the layer of "stuff" at the bottom...yet. Anybody have this happen to them?

-Mike

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Mike Wilson

Mike Wilson New Member

Loc:
    Orient Point, NY
    Do you have a water softener or iron reduction system in your home. If so, it is crystallized salts, which doesn't taste like regular salt.

-- Mike
  3. mikedengineer

mikedengineer New Member

Loc:
    mentor(northeast), ohio
    Actually it's just city water. For a few weeks I was putting pieces of a plant that I bought at the florist (the name slips my mind) to add some good smell to the room, but I haven't done that in weeks. This "stuff" seems to have occured when the water runs low. Maybe it's just some of that plant's oils coming out of the cast iron.

-Mike
  4. Willhound

Willhound Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northern Ontario, Canada
    I would bet it's from the plant. If not the natural plant oils themselves, I would suspect that the florist uses one of many varieties of plant food or a preserving agent mixed in the water that the plants sit in, or are watered with.

Just like when you buy cut flowers and you get the little packet of stuff to mix in the water to keep the plants longer. My understanding is that most of them are composed primarily of sugar.

Willhound
  5. Mike Wilson

Mike Wilson New Member

Loc:
    Orient Point, NY
  6. gumbydammit

gumbydammit New Member

ANTHRAX!!!!

(LOL)

My water is FULL of minerals and I always get the deposits.
  7. mikedengineer

mikedengineer New Member

Loc:
    mentor(northeast), ohio
    I remember what the plant was, Eucaluptus. I put some leaves in. It smelled pretty good.
    I'll just try cleaning it somehow.

Anthrax.... that's funny. Homeland security would probably be visiting me if that were true.

-Mike
  8. Mike Wilson

Mike Wilson New Member

Loc:
    Orient Point, NY
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.