Major Chimney Crown Issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Appleby

Hearth Supporter
Feb 16, 2008
Eastern PA
I have a question. I have a chimney crown that was poured in Mortar and has developed small cracks all over. I can't for the life of me chip it out but would have plenty of room to pour a proper portland on top of it. The Mortar is still very much attached, just cracked and letting water in now. I know I need to use a portland/sand mix for this and not mortar but my question is, will the cracked mortar underneath cause the concrete above to crack as well? What if I would add some sort of reineforcing like #3 rebar or chicken wire??? Any suggestions? I would perfer to form this up and pour it complete with the appropriate drip edge which it does not currently have.

I know they sell that CrownSeal elastomeric coating that works great but i can't find it anywhere around here and it is like $200 which is a little rich for my blood. $250 with shipping costs.

I was also thinking of a crown made of Tin or alum or something that would fit over the existing crown. I have access to people that could break metal for me.

Roofing tar is not an option. I hate that stuff.

Any help with this problem would be appreciated. This is something that really needs my attention as the water is getting worse with each heavy rain. Right now it is just a drip but I don't want it to get worse.

Cap it in metal and be done with it.

i got a quart of the elasomeric sealer from Ace hardware. it was a clear that you actually can trowel on or a throw away brush. filled the gaps real nicely.....

jim

whatever you do make sure you seal it before the water getting in the cracks freezes. It will split them open even more and cause worse damage.

Seal the cracks with a good latex chalk and then add 1 1/2 to 2 inches of concrete on the top. Did this to mine over 10 years ago and there has not been any issues yet.

I with Hog on this one. Seal up the cracks with caulk, then put a stainless flue cap (with a lip on the edge) to cover it and be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.