Make Up Air for Harman XXV (OAK) When other say wahhh. We say why not?!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I ran into an installation where a couople had an Accentra FS in their living room and then added an XXV to the formal living room. Two stoves about 205 feet away from one another on the first floor. There are many energy improvements made here on the house and their installer refused to install the stove with an OAK. I can see the frustration as the install was in the center of the house in a chimney; where are you going to get air from? Simple. The chimney. Installation was a 4" liner up through a termination plate, sealed and insulated. I then ran the air hose into and pass the plate into the smoke chamber with an elbow and screen for safe measure and then mounted this contraption on the cap. Nifty hugh?

OAK%2520cap.jpg

Darn, can't see the picture, Scott. I have one chimney installation where I used the ash cleanout but my second fireplace has no ash dump so I'm planning to go up the chimney too. I'd like to see your termination on the top. I was planning to get the 180 degree 3" exhaust pipe 'elbow' that someone else used but you may have something simpler. Not running the pipe all the way up the chimney is also appealing but I don't have a sealing plate at the smoke shelf. Would stuffing that area full of fiberglass insulation work as well?

tjnamtiw said:
Darn, can't see the picture, Scott. I have one chimney installation where I used the ash cleanout but my second fireplace has no ash dump so I'm planning to go up the chimney too. I'd like to see your termination on the top. I was planning to get the 180 degree 3" exhaust pipe 'elbow' that someone else used but you may have something simpler. Not running the pipe all the way up the chimney is also appealing but I don't have a sealing plate at the smoke shelf. Would stuffing that area full of fiberglass insulation work as well?

Sorry, updated with correct link

I thought the make-up air intake had to be turned down and well away from the exhaust? If not, your installation would sure make life easier. How about my question about the smoke shelf insulation?

*** looking at my manual, the two have to be at least 12" difference in height. I guess that's why the 180 degree bend can be used to ENSURE there's enough distance.

tjnamtiw said:
I thought the make-up air intake had to be turned down and well away from the exhaust? If not, your installation would sure make life easier. How about my question about the smoke shelf insulation?

*** looking at my manual, the two have to be at least 12" difference in height. I guess that's why the 180 degree bend can be used to ENSURE there's enough distance.

My OAK does not run to the top of the chimney, the inlet there is merely a makeup for the chimney

understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.