Making a Hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flyfishn

Mar 9, 2008
North Van , BC
So I want to make a hearth and surround for my new yet to be in stalled F1100 regency.
I just want to make sure I get this right.
I plan to put down cement board on the floor and put it on the walls. I am doing a corner surround.
Then for the floor I will use large pieces of slate and then for the wall I will be using little pieces of what look like a flint stone to me. They are cut on one side which will make it nice and easy to apply to the cement board. They just stack on top of each other.

Would anyone have any advice for me?

Thanks much.

I agree with cmonstart. In the meantime, I built my own hearth as well. My advice would be to raise your stove up off the floor about a foot. This makes it look much more Regal, and also makes loading/cleaning much easier. Also, I don't know how big the room is, but I say the bigger you make your hearth the better. It's always better to exceed minimum hearth requirements. Especially in front of the stove. 24" is a lot better than 18." Not only is it easier to work with, if years from now you ever change to a stove that happens to have larger requirements, you will be covered. I posted pictures of my hearth here in The Perfect Picture. Here is the link to that thread. You might find other helpful info. You can see I didn't raise up the whole hearth. This is so the raised up part didn't protrude too far out into the room. Good Luck! Keep us posted.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/14900/

Status
Not open for further replies.