Making adjustable 90 degree elbows into 45's

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Huntindog1

Minister of Fire
Dec 6, 2011
South Central Indiana
Any of you guys know how to make those adjustable 90's twisted just right to make a 45's , harder than it sounds and make them look right. I tried it once and they never looked right.

I've done it and not had a problem. Perhaps one of your seems isn't sliding as it should. Perhaps try some graphite powder.

If you are very concerned about looks, and truly need a 45, just go w/ a solid one.

pen

Most of them are made with three 30 degree segments so while you can make a 45, you can't have it look perfect. Put marks on each segment and move them in small increments, first on one end and then the other, keeping them as even as possible.

They are a bit tricky at first but you'll figure it out. Just play around with it for a while.

I don't think they make them anymore..just cd's. lol

What are CD's? Are those like iTunes gift cards where you don't get to choose the tracks?

-SF

Personally i dont like the adjustable elbows anymore. Used then but the seams always seem weak and degrade with the heat cycles. Last time i did an install for a buddy, i cemented the joints once set.
As mentioned above if its a true 45, by a solid one. Youll be happier i swear.

Thanks I will look for the solid 45's but the stove is burning well now but as usual I like to play around with my setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.