Making sure I'm in good working order....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mking7

Burning Hunk
Jan 26, 2011
West, TX
We bought a home last winter that has a Vermont Castings Encore in it. I used it last year a few times somewhat haphazardly (didn't know it at the time) and I want to make sure I'm safe this year. Purchased this year's wood last year and went through the Texas drought/heat wave. Not sure it's completely seasoned but better than what I had last year.

I'm going to have a sweep come out and inspect/clean the chimney.

There is at least one seal on the door that is hanging loose (wasn't last year but when I opened the stove this year it was). Do I need to remove it and replace it or just re-attach the loose part?

The ash pan latch doesn't catch so I need to work on that.

Also - the pipe that comes out of the stove (color matched, starts wide and becomes round the higher up you go) is in sections and when the stove is rolling (before I kick in the re-burn lever) I can see flames through a gap in the joint of the sections. I assume this is bad but maybe it's normal to have gaps?

Are there other things I need to check in the stove itself? I had tried to get a dealer to come out and inspect the stove but neither of the two within 75 miles offers any such service.

Thanks guys.

mking7 said:
There is at least one seal on the door that is hanging loose (wasn't last year but when I opened the stove this year it was). Do I need to remove it and replace it or just re-attach the loose part?

Replace. You might as well replace both door gaskets while you are at it.

The ash pan latch doesn't catch so I need to work on that.

That needs to be fixed before you begin using the stove.

Also - the pipe that comes out of the stove (color matched, starts wide and becomes round the higher up you go) is in sections and when the stove is rolling (before I kick in the re-burn lever) I can see flames through a gap in the joint of the sections. I assume this is bad but maybe it's normal to have gaps?

Post pics of this to be sure what you mean by "gaps". Could be really bad, or it could be minor. Sounds really bad right now.

Are there other things I need to check in the stove itself? I had tried to get a dealer to come out and inspect the stove but neither of the two within 75 miles offers any such service.

Post some pics of the stove in different positions. It sounds like you should probably replace some gaskets and you need to fix the ash pan door issue before you start to use it again. The gaps in the pipe might need to be cleared up as well. Is this Encore a catalytic stove or an Everburn stove?

I think it sounds like you know exactly what you need to do. The sweep checking things out is a great idea since this is a new home to you. Nothing wrong w/ having some new eyes look at the setup.

As far as the gasket, if the glue simply died just buy some stove gasket glue sold at hardware stores and wood burning shops and you should be good there if it's not damaged.

The ash pan latch is crucial. That needs to be sealed or else you could really overheat that sucker.

Sounds like it could use some furnace cement in the joint where you are seeing flames.

pen

Okay. I got the ash pan sorted out. It now closes correctly. I remember last year thinking the primary control didn't seem to make much difference. I guess with the ash pan not closed the primary may have been irrelevant.

Also ordered some gasket rope and adhesive. Ordered some glass cleaner as well. I tried the ash thing but I have I something on one of the doors that wouldn't come off. Want to see if the glass cleaner will do it.

So, the only thing I have left is the sweep's inspection/cleaning (hopefully happening Tuesday) and the small gaps in the pipe joints where I can see the flame (when the cat isn't engaged).

I took some pics. I'll add more if there are other angles you need but here is where there is enough gap (1/8" maybe) where I can see flame when the stove is rolling and I haven't engaged the cat.

STOVE3.jpg

STOVE2.jpg

STOVE1.jpg

I had an oval to round connector like that on the back of my Dutchwest and it had some air gaps just like those. I eventually sealed the joint with furnace cement and it seemed to draft better to me however with that gorgeous enamel pipe it would be a crying shame to put stove cement all over it. You should post some more pictures of the whole stove (I love the looks of those VC's) :)

certified106 said:
I had an oval to round connector like that on the back of my Dutchwest and it had some air gaps just like those. I eventually sealed the joint with furnace cement and it seemed to draft better to me however with that gorgeous enamel pipe it would be a crying shame to put stove cement all over it. You should post some more pictures of the whole stove (I love the looks of those VC's) :)

Ha, we actually hate the looks of this stove. The hearth and the stove really don't fit the house at all but I wanted to burn it for a winter to burn it for a full year and the decide on a replacement that is more asthetically pleasing to us. Sure wish the stove was black or brown, would save me a decent amount of money....

Thanks for the post.

Yeah, those gaps aren't an issue. If you want to cement them to seal it, go ahead.

BrowningBAR said:
Yeah, those gaps aren't an issue. If you want to cement them to seal it, go ahead.

Great, thanks!

Well, I fired up the stove for the first time last night. It certainly behaves differently with the ashpan closing completely. I now realize that before I just had a runaway stove. The stove top temps got up to 550ish and I engaged the cat. All flames stopped. I gave it some time then opened it back up. I started to question my stove top thermometer and had another one I had ordered so I put them both on the stove top. WOW. The original one said I was at 650, the new one said about 425. So which one to trust? May boil some water tonight and check them. But going to order a laser pyrometer from HF or Northern Tool so I can feel more confident I guess.

It's good that you checked the thermometers. Once they start reading poorly I toss em out.

Status
Not open for further replies.