Making the most of the good weather

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnstra

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Sep 6, 2010
Northern Colorado
It's 63F here today, so I've made the most of it. I let the stove go cold so I could: sweep the chimney, clean the cap, clean out ashes, clean the glass, and install a flue damper. It's supposed to be below zero Monday night and cold for most of the week, so I'm ready for it. It might not even get above zero on Tuesday. We usually have 2 or 3 good cold snaps like this every winter. Oh, I also found somebody selling white oak, locust, and maple so I'm picking up a truckload of that tomorrow.

I agree, it's nice to see temps north of 32 degree's in my parts. Havn't seen this in over a week at least. The house feels real warm again. Short lived though!

50s here today. Davey Tree was here yesterday so I cut up a weeping cherry and cleaned up for about 6 hrs. Im beat.

Saw it was 72 in Kansas, dry & wild fires in Oklahoma.
S & Mid W US is having it's own issues with this winter.

NWS says we're in for what might be the coldest wave in a decade next week, but it's going to be short lived. Well below zero Monday night and Tuesday night, but all the way back into the forties on Friday.

Dang, I keep reading about these warm temperatures. Sure wish they'd find us!

40+ here, yesterday and today.
We're dropping pipe at BIL's for the basement hearth install of the Englander 24 in my sig.
I checked out their basement. It's a walk-out, but most of the above-grade wall is insulated...nice.

High 30's here for the first time probably since early December here in Dutchess county NY. I spent most of the day cleaning the driveway and making a path to the woodshed. Also made kindling that should last me for a good month. Split several large pieces into small ones. Great day.

Spent the day taking snow off the garage roof. Around 1800sq. ft., 2.5 ft. deep. Shed type roof so I have to push and shovel it off. But icy rain for Weds. and snow acts like a big sponge. I'm sure we will see some house and barn roofs go down. Big horse barn in Somers Ct. went down and they had to put two horses down. Be safe.
Ed

in the 30's here today felt like spring. now back to single and below zero temps again. yay! i love the cold.

Ours are about to come to a screeching halt... -8 tomorrow night and -18 Tuesday night.

Backwoods Savage said:
Dang, I keep reading about these warm temperatures. Sure wish they'd find us!

I have seen several people here from North Carolina so we will all turn to the NW and blow some of the nice air your way Backwoods.

Mid-forties here today so everything is turning to mush and mud in the day time and ice at night in the teens. Much better when it just gets cold and stays cold. At least the power is back on. Ice headed this way this week so I loaded back up on groceries and generator gas. Single digits coming Thursday night. Looks like the N/E is gonna get hammered again. We are two inches above normal for snow fall at this time this year. Beats the first week of Feb. last year when we were three feet above normal in one day. Then is snowed again.

Hunker down New England, PA, NY et. al.

Yep, took advantage of the nice weather. Got enough wood split and sorted and moved toward the back door. They just said at the lastest model here in KC, KS/MO area 8-14" of snow. From what I've seen anything over 8 inches halts this city. I say bring it on, lets see what happens.

Looks like they are making good use of the clear weather up north too. In Framingham MA they are making room for more snow. Coming soon too. This is in a mall parking lot.

Attachments

• Making the most of the good weather
    big_snow.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 193
BeGreen said:
Looks like they are making good use of the clear weather up north too. In Framingham MA they are making room for more snow. Coming soon too. This is in a mall parking lot.

Now that pile will take a few weeks/months to melt!
Make a giant igloo too, with indoor trees. :lol:

snowballs and slushies in july!

BrotherBart said:
Mid-forties here today so everything is turning to mush and mud in the day time and ice at night in the teens. Much better when it just gets cold and stays cold. At least the power is back on. Ice headed this way this week so I loaded back up on groceries and generator gas. Single digits coming Thursday night. Looks like the N/E is gonna get hammered again. We are two inches above normal for snow fall at this time this year. Beats the first week of Feb. last year when we were three feet above normal in one day. Then is snowed again.

Hunker down New England, PA, NY et. al.

Didn't get much above freezing here. Lots of ice and a few feet of snow. Another 6-12 on the way. I may be the exception, but I am stoked out of my mind! Headed up to NH, friday night, with the fam to hit the trails with my son, daughter, nieces and nephew. The oldest is 10 and the youngest is 4, and only the 4 year old has not graduated ski school. Skiing with my family is as good as life gets for this guy!

Status
Not open for further replies.