Making the switch to organic bar oil

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

StihlHead

OK, so I was at the grocery store this evening. They have Canola oil on sale for $9 a gallon, which got my attention. Bar oil around here is $10 a gallon for the cheapest I can find. I then looked at the smaller bottles on sale, and it came out to $8 a gallon, so I bought 4 bottles. I figure if its cheaper, I may as well make the switch and be good to the environment, especially noodling rounds on my own property. Also if I get stranded while in the woods cutting firewood I can survive drinking canola oil. I will just crank up all the oilers on my saws and sling the oil around, guilt-free.

I'll probably switch as soon as I use up the remainder of my $4.99/gallon TSC bar oil.

I do wish Motion Lotion were less expensive.

Reactions: StihlHead
Bailey's has ML for $13 a gallon... plus shipping. Durex is the same stuff, made for loggers, but also has a red dye added so you can see it ($10 here). But those both are 30wt dyno based.

Oops, I meant the biodegradable Motion Lotion.

http://www.baileysonline.com/Chains...egradable-Bar-Chain-Oil-Case-of-4-Bottles.axd

I haven't seen any biodegradable dedicated B&C oil for much under $20/gallon (before shipping). I'm not aware of anyone around here who stocks it.

I had mentioned Motion Lotion because Baileys sometimes offers free shipping. I did notice that on the last couple sales that many heavy liquid products did not qualify for free shipping.

I haven't seen any biodegradable dedicated B&C oil for much under $20/gallon (before shipping). I'm not aware of anyone around here who stocks it.​

My Stihl dealer keeps a couple cases of it around. But as you said, it ain't cheap. I don't remember what I paid last time I bought a gallon (and it wasn't that long ago.... ;lol) but his normal list price on the stuff is a bit over $20 a gallon. I picked up 3 gallons of TSC CountyLine B&C oil for $7 a gallon recently. Also thinking about doing some testing with some expensive oil as well just to see if there is really any benefit.

Oops, I meant the biodegradable Motion Lotion.

http://www.baileysonline.com/Chains...egradable-Bar-Chain-Oil-Case-of-4-Bottles.axd

I haven't seen any biodegradable dedicated B&C oil for much under $20/gallon (before shipping). I'm not aware of anyone around here who stocks it.

I had mentioned Motion Lotion because Baileys sometimes offers free shipping. I did notice that on the last couple sales that many heavy liquid products did not qualify for free shipping.

Well, if its just canola oil with a tackifier, then they are getting 3x the price of the canola oil. Plus shipping. Seems that all we need is a tackifier, or crank up the oilers for using thinner oil.

Reactions: ScotO
i run my oiler maxed out anyhow, i cant go up anymore.

I'm gonna go canola on next weekend's job (6 locust trees and a red maple), wonder what we could substitute as a tackifier? What do the manufactures use?

Reactions: StihlHead and ScotO
herbicide dye, not sure about bio or if its ok for a saw?

Just use food coloring.

mustard seed flour,ground ginger,cinnamon or several other spices would work for a coloring agent.Smell great too.

Status
Not open for further replies.