Makita 6401 to get a workout!!!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lobsta1

Sep 6, 2007
Eastern Ma.
The last few years the city has been dropping off tree trunks for me. The city guys get all the prime stuff. You know like 12" > 18" stuff. I end up with all the stuff they don't want to handle. Beggars can't be choosers. Most of this is oak. It's 4' across the trunk. I still have to finish splitting & stacking the 5 1/2 truck loads of oak I scrounged at the end of Aug. I think I have my work cut out.
Al

Attachments

• oak3.jpg
    oak3.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 456
  • oak4.jpg
    oak4.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 469
  • oak10.jpg
    oak10.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 462
  • oak1.jpg
    oak1.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 456
  • oak9.jpg
    oak9.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 478
Just sharpen the chain frequently. I had some "free" spruce that wnet to 3.75 ft and cut pieces out I could work with. The boiler never knew the difference. You will be working on that for awhile but cheer up the price is not bad and it will burn longer than spruce. If you need kindling the lengthwise cuts will produce gobs of long shavings that work real good for getting a fire going once they have dried out.

Ja, sure does look like work. Is it still considered scrounging when they drop it in your yard for you?

LLigetfa said:
Ja, sure does look like work. Is it still considered scrounging when they drop it in your yard for you?

"Power scrounging"

That is some very nice wood. Don't let the size scare you though and don't think you have to "split" it with the chain saw. You need to cut some of it to length but after that, put the saw away and go to splitting.

Wow!

I think a slab table made from a piece of that first monster-round would be cool.

Have fun. Be safe.

- Sequoia

Nice score! I just finished processing some 35" red oak rounds so I literally feel your pain. At least mine was bucked.

Very nice!! Man, that is a LOT of wood! Must be nice to have them drop it off for you........I actually have to drive to pick mine up!!! lol

NP

LLigetfa said:

Scrounging Mastery

That's impressive. I wouldn't know where to begin with those big bastards, but I'd sure like to have some dropped off at my house so I could learn the best way to handle em.

Like I said, I get what the city guys & their friends don't want. It is a win-win situation for both the city & myself. The city used to dump all the trees in a city yard about a 1/2 mile from my house. The conservation league stepped in & said they couldn't do that anymore as the area was considered wetlands so dumping tree trunks there was not legal. (Now they dump dirt & fill used around the city. That's OK though). All the trees they now have to bring to the recyclers & pay to dispose of them according to tonnage.My house is centrally located & they don't have to pay. When the guys brought the trunks, they also came with the BIG loader. Then used the bucket to push the logs around so I could get to them individually.

I guess those cases of beer I send down to them pays dividends. Now if I could get Gooserider to come down & exercise his Dolmar 7900 I'd really be all set.
Al

lobsta1 said:
Like I said, I get what the city guys & their friends don't want. It is a win-win situation for both the city & myself. The city used to dump all the trees in a city yard about a 1/2 mile from my house. The conservation league stepped in & said they couldn't do that anymore as the area was considered wetlands so dumping tree trunks there was not legal. (Now they dump dirt & fill used around the city. That's OK though). All the trees they now have to bring to the recyclers & pay to dispose of them according to tonnage.My house is centrally located & they don't have to pay. When the guys brought the trunks, they also came with the BIG loader. Then used the bucket to push the logs around so I could get to them individually.

I guess those cases of beer I send down to them pays dividends. Now if I could get Gooserider to come down & exercise his Dolmar 7900 I'd really be all set.
Al

Sounds like a great relationship. I didn't have cool connections like that when I was growing up in Dorchester!

LLigetfa said:

Jedi Scrounging.

Status
Not open for further replies.