Malm Imperial Carousel Freestanding Woodburning Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

redcat

Jan 30, 2014
Michigan
Hello,

I purchased a home about a year ago which has a carousel fireplace from the 80s. I've been using it this winter but would like to upgrade to a nice wood stove. But my question is what is the best way to measure the fire temp with this. It has a stove pipe with a 90 degree then goes into the wall and a chimney. I'm concern about the risk of chimney fire and not sure the best way to measure temp.

I don't know if its double walled pipe is there a way to tell from the outside instead of taking it all apart? Also since it doesn't have a stove top really, would a stove top thermometer work at all?

Would a IR thermometer help, or would that just tell me the fire temp and not the temp of the air going out.

Sorry really new to all this, but want to keep my kids and I safe.

Thank you

Lisa

Attachments

• photo-(5).gif
    photo-(5).gif
    810.5 KB · Views: 1,749
There is not really any reason to measure or adjust the flue temps in such a stove - since it is non-airtight. It allows plenty of air in so burns relatively efficiently in terms of combustion.

if the chimney has never been cleaned or taken apart, it would be good to do so. However, unless it's been used very heavily, it is not likely to need cleaning very often.

However, unless it's been used very heavily, it is not likely to need cleaning very often.

Would this type fireplace be any different than a modern wood stove for creosote build up?

Sure, it is more like a fireplace in the fact that it is not totally air-starved. This means you'd have to really try to smolder wood and build up a heavy bunch of tar. Used with decent wood and a reasonable chimney draft, they are likely to burn fairly clean.

That does not mean it delivers high efficiency back into the room. Much of the heat goes up the chimney, which is also why it can burn cleaner than an old smoke dragon turned way down!

Hm. Good to know, since one day we WILL find a home here somewhere for the "cone". Not that we wouldn't sweep it of course, but it's just so different than the stove it's interesting to learn the differences.

Status
Not open for further replies.