Man I Hate Uglies

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

remkel

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 21, 2010
Southwest NH
Was loading the stove for the night and thought I could fit in some Uglies I had in the basement stack. Got one of the Uglies in and it caught pretty quick, but turned on me blocking me from putting a really full load in. Had the fire mitts on and thought I could manipulate it a bit, but ended up with three quarters of a full load.

Luckily it is pretty warm tonight so I will probably get by with the load in there. Man I hate those Uglies!

Never leave them for the big overnight load. I burn them through the day.

A man loaded his stove with some uglies,
Some were shaped like milk jugglies,
Sparks were flying as he tried to ram 'em,
Half a load was all he got, damn 'em

Been there. Done that.

dougand3 said:

Been there. Done that.

:)

LLigetfa said:

+ 1

I would have thought that was obvious...

LLigetfa said:
+2

That is all I have burning this year. Makes loading the stove with big, square, full length, 3 yr+ dried, high end splits feel like a special occasion. There have only been a handful of special occasions this year.

By "uglies" I assume you guys mean gnarled, knotted pieces of wood? If so, I've heard them called "all nighters." They're called that due to their density and that tough fibrous wood that tends to burn a long time (similar to stump wood). I guess the downside is that their irregular shape prevents a full load, especially into the more confined firebox of a woodstove. Personally I like 'em!

Personally, I get great satisfaction tossing it into the stove and burning the bastard knowing what it put me through trying to split it.

Got Wood said:
Personally, I get great satisfaction tossing it into the stove and burning the bastard knowing what it put me through trying to split it.

Haha, yeah there is that. Although in some sick way I enjoy the challenge as long as I'm using my 8hp logsplitter. If I had to do it by hand, they'd simply end up in the woods. :lol:

I hate trying to stack them. I burned a few last night because it was such a strong draft (with the high winds) we were blowing through wood so I figured why waste good stuff. It felt good watching them burn after the angst they gave me on the wood pile, lol.

I am burning uglies right now. I like it because they seem more like a waste byproduct than real firewood, so when I burn them it feels like getting something for nothing. I realize that doesn't make much sense because they're actually harder to deal with than the rest of my all-free firewood so more work has gone into the heat than usual, but nevertheless that is how it feels - free heat today!

dougand3 said:

Been there. Done that.

If you add one more line that rhymes with 'uglies' you will have a lymric. The only thing I can think of is "so his wife had to put on a snuggie."

My uglies get burned up during the weekends when I'm home and don't need to fill the firebox to capacity . . .

Stacking them is a bear, so I usually top off the row with them. They burn fine so I try to use them up in our eternal shoulder season.

Wood Duck, that is a good one.
BG, you're not shoulder season now...isn't coastal PacNW getting 6-12" snow? I lived in Portland, OR for 2 years...6" was a big 'un.

Woodrow said:
By "uglies" I assume you guys mean gnarled, knotted pieces of wood? If so, I've heard them called "all nighters." They're called that due to their density and that tough fibrous wood that tends to burn a long time (similar to stump wood). I guess the downside is that their irregular shape prevents a full load, especially into the more confined firebox of a woodstove. Personally I like 'em!

No, talking about smaller chunks in odd shapes, elbows and etc., impossible to stack, don't fit well in the stove with other stuff, and like that.

firefighterjake said:
My uglies get burned up during the weekends when I'm home and don't need to fill the firebox to capacity . . .

That is exactly what i've been doing on the weekend morning and afternoon reloads!!!

dougand3 said:

Been there. Done that.

Looks like a good addition to one's signature, eh?

I'll tell you though, I love me some chunks. I started burning them exclusively early on, until I realized how great they were at filling in the spaces in my tiny firebox where splits don't fit. Now I'm thinking of purposely cutting some chunks for next year...

One of our stoves is a top-loader. Chunks of all shapes and sizes go right in there, no loss of capacity or etc. Burn great. They won't stack in the wood shed, so I toss 'em on a pile off to the side and burn them in the top-loader. No problem.

Woodrow said:
Couldn't have said it better myself. If you have uglies then you are a person who doesn't waste wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.