1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Man, I Love That Fluffy Ash!

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by velvetfoot, Feb 23, 2013.

1. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    Let the house cool down some today since it's up around freezing, and let the stove get cold. Stirred the coals now and then. The ash left is a small fraction of the coals I started with and it's all light and fluffy. For whatever reason, I love it. Will scoop it all out now, clean the glass and load it up again.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    Shoveling out coals may not amount to all that much lost heat, but I still don't like to do it. If it only gets up to low 30s during the day, I can't just burn down coals and maintain room temp. I've been raking coals forward and throwing a couple small splits in the back to get some cat action going. I just started doing this so I don't know how much headway I'm actually making. Seems like it might be working...
  3. ridemgis

ridemgis Burning Hunk

Loc:
    South Kingstown, Rhode Island
    Sounds like he let the coals burn down...