Maneuvering 1000 gallon tank through bulkhead into basement solo.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sparke

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
Maine
I had to remove two courses of blocks to have enough clearance. They bust out very easy with a sledge hammer. The replacement materials cost around $35 for blocks, pre-mixed concrete, trowel, and joint finish tool... Now I just need to pipe it up!

Slideshow: http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p83/sparkie68/tank2/?action=view&current=c8d38c31.pbw

Finally got the link working. For future reference, when you save a file name on photobucket, DO NOT leave any spaces in file name.

Looks good Sparke. I just love it when people stop by my house and the question is: "what in the hell are you doing now??" Nice work and I can't wait to see the burning results.

I've had this problem before with photobucket. Pasting in the entire link all I get is "Page Not Found" and pictures of celebrities.

Am I missing a trick or browser setting?

I'm having trouble looking at the pictures as well. I pasted the entire link in and it does not lead to the right page. I replaced the space with a " " and tried it and I got sent to a page to log in to view your private album. I think I'm headed in the right direction, but possibly the wrong link still.

I cut and pasted the "Slideshow" portion to get it to work. When I tried the first link it went to the password portion.

I got the second link to work by removing one of the spaces in front of the "2"

Fun to see how someone can take simple tools to make seemingly impossible work possible.

OK, I got it to work by pasting the entire link and removing the space before the number 2.

Good show, indeed. I just enjoy the heck out of watching come-alongs and ramps conquer gravity.

Any idea how much that tank weighs and what its pressure rating is?

No Idea what it weighs as far as pressure goes - it is a homemade tank so no idea on that either, sorry... As long as it holds 30 psi I am happy : ) I would dare guess the tank is good for much much more then 30 psi, it is made with thick galvanized steel and very rugged welds. The only flaw I am able to observe is that some of the seams are not perfectly aligned. In other words the steel sheets are not exactly flush at the seams but the weld looks excellent.

sparke said:
No Idea what it weighs as far as pressure goes - it is a homemade tank so no idea on that either, sorry... As long as it holds 30 psi I am happy : ) I would dare guess the tank is good for much much more then 30 psi, it is made with thick galvanized steel and very rugged welds. The only flaw I am able to observe is that some of the seams are not perfectly aligned. In other words the steel sheets are not exactly flush at the seams but the weld looks excellent.

I'd be more worried about that flat bottom. Propane tanks (and other pressure vessels) have domed ends for a very good reason. Was this unit used under pressure previously?

30psi may not seem like much but that's a total of 700,000+lbs of force spread across that tank.

The previous owner said it was part of a pressurized water system but who knows. Neither end is flat. One end looks flat but is actually concave or the domed end is inverted towards the inside of the tank. As Bio SalesGuy pointed out they probably made the one end inverted with a flat flange so the tank could stand vertical... wish I could have installed it that way.

** Finally got the link working right, thanks webmaster!!**

Status
Not open for further replies.