Mangled oversized pieces processing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

excessads

Burning Hunk
Feb 16, 2016
Garden State
Well I split as much as I can, but several pieces have knots or oversized larger than dimension of my 1.5 cu ft box. Would sawzall be the most economical and effective tools to trim them to fit within the insert?

Noodling with a chainsaw is probably the most efficient way. Just be careful--smaller chunks move around if you don't brace them. Sawzalls seem to take forever in comparison, especially if there are knots.

They always fit in the fire pit just fine. :)

I once had a large green chunk of oak, roughly 20 diameter x 30 long that was nothing but one gigantic knot. I invited my neighbor over with his tractor & FEL. He chucked it in his OWB. It belched smoke for about a day straight.

Crap wood goes into the fire pit. Screwing around with a chainsaw and small knotted pieces is asking for an accident IMO.
Yeah, I don't planned on getting it borrowing a chainsaw, just manually split down to normal diameter then sawzall to right length.

I have gotten much better at recognizing those while they are still attached to the log.

If still on the log, chainsaw to stove size.

Already off the log, too much trouble, firepit.

I put those in a pile for bonfires - I have a Timberwolf tw5 splitter so the ones that I dont fool with are nasty! Just dump some diesel or gasoline on them and light em up

+1 on firepit, especially if you have access to a lot of wood. I've learned a lot about cost/benefit and time required. The safety issue rings true also.

If I am paying attention while cutting the whole tree, I'll cut the notches and knottiest parts extra short so they will be easier to split. If I don't do that there end up being some pieces I can't break up into stove sized pieces, and it is tough to use a chainsaw on them once they are separated from the tree.
The unsplittable ones become campfire wood.

Last edited:
I don't mess with the super ugly stuff... plenty of wood around and I'd rather just work with something nice.

If I am paying attention while cutting the whole tree, I'll cut the notches and knottiest parts extra short so they will be easier to split. If I don't do that there end up being some pieces I can't break up into stove sized pieces, and it is tough to use a chainsaw on them once they are separated from the tree.
The unsplittable ones become campfire wood.

I do that same, small pieces. Some of them have made nice pieces for the night shift...