Manifold flow valve question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsmaster

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 25, 2010
N.W. Ohio
Am I correct in assuming the manifolds with flow valves are for fine tunning temps on a given loop? For example if my upstairs bedrooms were to warm compaired to the rest of the house I could just
turn the flow down a little on that loop ? If the system is desighned to heat calcs. would you need them?

Do you mean "ball valves" when you say flow valve? I think there are a few reasons to have shut-offs/ball valves for each zone. Not the least of which is being able to shut off a specific zone if you have a problem so as to leave the rest of the system unaffected. If you develop a leak mid-winter in one zone it will be most helpful to be able to shut off only that zone.

Some people say using full-port ball valves to control flow is not desirable because it wears on the inside of the valve over time. However, I think many people do use them for this...

Maybe they are ball valves didn't look that close. Some of the manifolds also have flow meters, what is the point of them. Just trying to decide on getting the $40.00 manifold or the $300.00 one.

Stee is right on. You need them to isolate zones. It helps with bleeding off air when you initially fill the system too because you can run water through each zone and get the air out.

It also helps to balance the flow. And yes, the ball valves may wear over time but I don't think any of us will really notice. The flow meters let you adjust the flow to the require GPM. Not all circuits have the same head/pressure drop so adjustment is necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.