Mansfield outside air kit pics?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

burnham

Hearth Supporter
Oct 19, 2007
central massachusetts
Looking for some pics of the back of the stove where you plumb the air kit in, I have searched but can't seem to find anything that helps. My house is pretty tight, and I'm pulling a lot of air from the basement when I burn. Thanks.

From looking at my Mansfield during instal, I am going to say it doesn't attach to the back. The secondary intakes are on the bottom, and I noticed a few screws down there doing nothing. My bet is you remove those screws, slide the plenum under the stove, replace screws, attach air intake plumbing between hole in wall and plenum. easypeasy.

So I stopped at the dealer to get a price on an outside air kit, it's $125. It appears it's just a different pan that goes on the bottom of the stove, that has 3 spots where you can plumb in outside air. Does that sound correct? I'm really hoping someone here has one and can set me straight. I'm wondering if I can just punch a hole in what I have and bring outside air into it. Just trying to avoid paying a hundred bucks for some holes in a piece of metal.

Not sure I understand..

You have something you want/can use?

I don't have one.. but as I said above, it's just a plenum box mounted under the stove, with holes that line up with the secondary intake holes.. at least based on the drawing in the parts manual and looking under the stove, and then plumbed to whatever source of air you are going to feed it.. My *guess* is I could build one for about $10 if I wanted/needed one.

Dakotas Dad said:
Not sure I understand..

You have something you want/can use?

I don't have one.. but as I said above, it's just a plenum box mounted under the stove, with holes that line up with the secondary intake holes.. at least based on the drawing in the parts manual and looking under the stove, and then plumbed to whatever source of air you are going to feed it.. My *guess* is I could buld one for about $10 if I wanted/needed one.

OK, I think I'm with you now. It's a plenum box that mounts over (under) what I already have, it doesn't replace anything. In looking at the pictures I thought it was something that replaced the bottom of the stove where the ash pan is housed. It didn't make much sence to be feeding the stove air into that area, it would turn into a blast furnace pretty quickly. Thans.

I do hope someone with one.. maybe nobody on here has one.. posts a picture, I would like to see if it feeds the primary air also, or just the secondary. If it feeds both it will have to wrap around the ash pan, not just mount behind it.. I don't remember any unused screws around the sides.. but wasn't looking.. will check when the stove cools a bit.. just reloaded a full load, sitting just under 600F.. I can't hardly be in the room with it like that.. she is curled up in front of it like a cat in the sun..

I'll give you bump. My heritage is constructed such that 100% of combustion air enters through the outside air nipple. This is how it SHOULD be done on all OAK kits. Why bother only feeding the primary air from outside when most of the time the primary only makes up a small portion of combustion air.

Status
Not open for further replies.