Mantel Beam hot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

llr20004

Oct 7, 2021
essex
Hi i had a log burner and wood mantel installed and the beam seems to be getting quite hot, is there a deflector or something i can get to stop this ? my measurements are
beam - just under 32” from hearth
beam - 12” above burner
beam - 4.5” from pipe

F764F71A-28CB-46BB-89CE-E1DEA9A67FD8.jpeg 51C7EC40-3358-4AD5-8B6A-C8BE889F053B.jpeg B93870C9-5228-466C-8832-EF60711F6BA0.jpeg

That does look quite close to the stove. What does the stove's manual say for clearances above it? What stove make and model is this?

A shield can be fabricated and will help, but only within reason. It would help if the mantel was mounted higher.

the make is newman fireplaces ltd and is a easedale 5 Se , i can’t see in the manual where it’s says about distance, it was fitted by a hetas engineer a few months ago

Unfortunately, I am unable to locate the manual to help. Newman's website offers little and does not appear to be up to date. The Easedale is not listed.

Was the beam in place when the stove was installed or did it come afterward? It is closer than would be permitted for any stove that I know of here in the states.

This is what a mantel shield looks like. It should extend for the full width of the fireplace opening, it should be on 1" spacers to create an air gap and can be painted.

mantel shield finished 1.jpg mantel shields.jpg

i’ve attached some images of manual below, thanks for the photos maybe i’ll be able to get something like that. It was all installed on one day as before was a coal fireplace which was removed

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I can’t recall a stove that allowed the mantle to be closer than a combustible wall. I could be wrong.

Evan

I see your dilemma. The manual is completely lacking in providing a meaningful specification for mantel or even ceiling clearance. Instead it vaguely refers to the huge and paywall protected British Construction Standards manual.