Mantel heat shield

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ironmonger

Hearth Supporter
Jul 10, 2009
Northern VA
I am installing a Pacific Energy Super Insert. The manual specifies 21" clearance with a heat shield between the top of the insert and any combustible above, and 30" without the heat shield. I have a wooden mantel hanging from the brick above, as seen in the photo. When the installer came out to measure, he told me that without the heat shield, I would need to raise the mantel up another 8 inches; with the heat shield I could leave it where it is. After he left, I did some measurements and discovered that this could only be correct if he was measuring from the insert top to the underside of the shelf. Isn't this incorrect? In order to have the proper clearance, wouldn't I need to measure from the top of the insert to the bottom of the three large wooden supports that are part of the mantel since they too are combustible? If this is the case, then the mantel will have to be placed ridiculously high, so I will remove it altogether and forgo installing the heat shield.

Attachments

• DSCF0002.JPG
    DSCF0002.JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 552
Your mantal would be hard sheild and make it look nice.But a limstone or type of stone mantal would look nice.

Normally they have separate clearances to trim, and then the mantle. But, if the trim sticks out far, then the trim is considered a mantle. If your willing to part with the mantle, it may make your install easier.

I suspect that those supports are largely decorative. Look into it a little, and I bet you can find a new method of hanging the mantle without those big brace-like things. I'm assuming you have ordinary brick and mortar. My wooden mantle came in a kit with a hidden hanging system that worked well. The entire depth of mantle/hanger is about 5".

Remove the center corbel, the ones on the sides don't matter. Then you can easily heat shield it and be all safe.

There is no way those huge corbels could be considered "trim". I would definitely count them as "mantle". With that said, the ones off to the sides wont be above the insert directly, so technically they don't count unless the manual specifically says how wide the mantle clearance must be met. Most are only directly above the fireplace and anything off the side would need to follow side wall clearances.

I have a heat shield and I don't even notice it. Not a big deal at all. I think it cost $75 from Jotul.

most of the time, when referring to the trim measurement, the books specs say something like "to a combustible facing 1 inch or more" meaning the breastplate.. in your case, those colums are your breastplate, and they definitly come out more than 1".. so heatshield it.

I ran into the same problem and opted for the heat shield. Raising the mantel would have been a big hassle.

I agree with Sen. Blutarsky.

The center bracket may be just cosmetic. I'd take it out. Then a discrete heat shield on the bottom of the mantle should suffice. Or just replace the mantel with a nice chunk of stone.

Status
Not open for further replies.