Mantel Shield - tempered glass?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HollowHill

Minister of Fire
Oct 29, 2009
Central NY
Wrestling with the mantel shield problem. I've noticed a cool looking glass hearth pad (Morso) before and the idea popped into my head to use glass as a mantel shield. I have an antique mantel that will require a fair amount of shielding and I think glass will look much better than metal, especially the shiny, black stuff available online. Called my local glass guy and he says that tempered glass is rated up to 400 degrees and they can cut it and drill it easily. I'm thinking of getting some brackets made to hold it in place and basically lining my mantel with glass (one inch space between glass and mantel). I talked to Woodstock and they thought it would work, as stove running temp is usually 400 to 600 range and there would be 12" of air space (or more) between stove and glass. Any thoughts, suggestions, comments would be appreciated. Trying to balance aesthetics with safety, with safety holding the trump card.

I was consurned about our trim that is below our mantle, when installing our insert, so i had a sheet metal shop cut and bent a shield for me. I made the shield the width of my surround, and the bend is 2 1/2" at a 45 degree angle, hardly noticable. The clearances for my Buck 81 is 10" from the bottom trim (we have 14")and 21" (we have 36") from the mantle. The surround has an insulation seal on it, and stops the heat a lot, and the shield that I put on also to be sure only heats up to around 130 with the stove running 450-500. And my wood trim is around 100, heck it is around 80 without the insert burning. With all that said I think you will be fine. Just be sure to meet all clearances for your stove.

Is your setup going to be a free standing?

HollowHill, that sounds like a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.