"Manual feed" - Any problem?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Old-Duckman

Hearth Supporter
Sep 26, 2010
Western PA
Opened a bag of pellets yesterday and found that it had gotten wet at some time and had the old flaking and expanded pellets. Taped up the bag opening and loaded good pellets from the other end of the bag. Got down to the bad part of the bag and figured "Why not just put some of these ruined pellets directly into the burn pot?"

So I gave it a try and really doesn't seem to be any problem. Just wondering if there is a problem with doing that, that I may be unaware of...Anyone know of any reason why I should not do this?

Stove is a Harman Accentra insert.

Not an issue with the Accentra insert. I would make a point though to clean out your fines area in the back of the stove sooner then later. I typically clean the fines out once per month depending on how much I'm burning. The bad part is it does require pulling the stove out.

Status
Not open for further replies.