Manual Log Splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Montanalocal

Minister of Fire
Dec 22, 2014
Helena MT
This is a new manual log splitter I just came across. It might be useful for those who do only a little and want something inexpensive.

This is a new manual log splitter I just came across. It might be useful for those who do only a little and want something inexpensive.

It's small and lightweight. Still, with those nice, clear grain rounds I could do the job much faster with a Fiskars axe.

Reactions: cahaak
Hmmm, interesting..
It's small and lightweight. Still, with those nice, clear grain rounds I could do the job much faster with a Fiskars axe.
Yeah, they always show guys, splitting the easy stuff when they want to show you how "great" something works. 😆
My brother doesn't have a power splitter. I wonder if that thing would handle the tough stuff with twisty grain, limb knots etc? Ones I've seen so far are only 10-12 tons..

Last edited:
It depends, some of the bad knots even will stall a 20 ton powered splitter. For sure it won't handle the big stuff.

I think it's a great starter for those thinking about owning a machine, and they are concerned about costs, fuel consumption, or they are wanting to remain off grid. But truly there are faster more efficient devices that are cheaper such as an ax or hammer and wedge. It would not be beneficial to me but I like the concept of self power. I would think this splitter would be good for tougher rounds but I have not seen any examples. [Edit: The round divider/lever device on the wedge is a first for me and great idea many might incorporate on gas splitters, but knotty rounds might damage it.]
If you just purchased one, try to make some videos of more difficult rounds, which might help change some minds.
Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Isaac Carlson
I think it's a great starter for those thinking about owning a machine, and they are concerned about costs, fuel consumption, or they are wanting to remain off grid
Yes, I thought that myself. I would not buy one as I have a good power splitter, but I had thought that it might be light enough to throw into someones rig and get taken out into the woods to help split big rounds that can not be lifted. It is low enough to the ground that with some branches on the side, big rounds could be rolled up on it. Good idea to post if someone does get one.

There is a young man with a new BK stove on YT. This young feller has one of these splitters and displays its efficiency in one of his, um, entertaining vids.

Noooooo way for a 24/7 burner! Fiskars with a old tire on a block will put this to shame in seconds. My opinion.

On the other hand if you set a treadmill inline (looks like it would work?) it would be the wood burners fitness center.

To each there own all kidding aside!

This style is not new been around forever, great cardio vascular work out, production wise for effort involved -yech. I understand that there some who can't swing a maul or axe- me included shoulder injury. even pumping those handels back and forth would be a problem due to the repetive nature. I had an employer way back in the 70's that got one, he used it once that was it for him , but his girl friend( who was a bit on plump side) thought it was neat and she used it. 2 birds one stone. there are other ways to use mechanical advantage to accomplish the chore with less physical stress.

Looks like an "As seen on TV" type tool, stuff you buy at Big Lots or Ollies. I'd rather use a go devil or hammer and wedge.

harbor freight as long as i can remember

i'm sure it will split wood, but slowly. If the design had switchable ram speeds it might be usable. I would't get past the 3rd round before I got out my maul.

Reactions: Sean McGillicuddy
I can't imagine taking on 8 cords with something like that