manual log splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kwikrp

Feeling the Heat
Oct 21, 2008
SE Mass
Anyone ever using one of these and can you tell me their experiences and recomandations or not ? What size logs are the effective on ?

Thanks

Attachments

• manaul log slitter.gif
    manaul log slitter.gif
    1.5 KB · Views: 739
From what I can tell, it looks like one jams it down into the wood from above.

Never used one, but I don't think you're going to generate the impact energy ( massX velocity squared) to do anything big or tough.

Well swung maul will work better , I think.

Practice,practice,practice.

Big maul works best for me!

unfortunately, unable to use a maul due to an accident, can't afford a log splitter saw this and thought maybe it might work anyone have an ideas or suggestions that may work for me ?

Sharp splitting wedges and a good drilling hammer. Although upon closer inspection of the photo, it looks as if the handle, perhaps weighted, slides up and down, successively driving the wedge through the log, thereby enabling a great amount of cumulative force, so it may be just the tool you need. Do you have a link to or the manufacturors name?

Ebay auction

This looks like the same thing.
I'm wondering if it will generate enough power also. If you can swing a hammer, a wood grenade is great.

If you have injuries that are prventing you from swinging a maul then this may not work much better for you as its still an impact tool driven by your muscles.  Ive seen manual foot or hand operated splitters on ebay...basically a hydraulic jack pushing a big knife against a block.  I'm sure it would work alot more slowly than swinging a maul but its would probably work for you and wouldn't hurt you.

On of my wifes friends saw that we had a lot of wood, and asked her if we wanted to try what she got her husband for splitting.
I told my wife, sure, but I have heard they are not that good.
She brought it over and I gave it a try. (Not the same exact one as in the photo, but same principal....basically you slide/throw the round wedge down the shaft, and the impact is supposed to break the wood)

Here were my thoughts:

1.) It only seemed to work ok on very dry pine. Took about 3-4 strikes. Tried some on some oak and maple about 6 months split....didn't even go through but I gave up after about 10 tries.

2) It is actually hard to balance the splitter on top of the log to begin with. What I mean is that if your log is 18", and then you put this splitter on top of it...the splitter is now above your head and unless you have a solid piece of wood at the bottom (meaning large piece of wood that the splitter will not go through) its tends to woble and go cant get a good strike with it.

These are just my thoughts, as I was looking to get something easier having a double hernia surgery that acts up from time to time. Have you looked into getting a small electric splitter...or perhaps one of the foot pump type models? (Most posters will not recommend such, but if you have an injury that limits your shoulder/arm it might be somethingto look into)

Good luck.

Some folks have reported good results with some of the $200-250 electric splitters for most woods. I would guess that an electric will handle more than that splitter bar dealio. they will have isues with elm, big logs, and serious knots.

My concerns with the cheap electric splitters -

- how will it hold up to being pushed to the limits repeatedly ( you know that it will happen). If you kill it , thta's $250 against your savings with wood.

- generating that power will use some KWH's how expensiive is it to split a cord, I don't knopw but it might be significant.

This will get it going I bought a 4 ton dr electric on craigs list 200.00
best money i spent sure it wont split everything but I impressed . i dont need 25 ton but bet there nice

I rent a gas splitter. Split the wood big, then resplit as needed after a year or so with a electric splitter. This works for me but
I have electric splitter in the basement by the furnace so it easy for me.

I have a wood wiz splitter, which is basically the same thing. I bought it just to see how it works. It works alright, but i wouldn't want to have to do any serious splitting with it. The weight is just too light, so to get any power you have to really throw it down. Easier than a sledge and maul, but not any faster, and there is no way it is going through tough knots.

I got a similar item from Craig a while back for review, I think it's up on the HearthWiki...

I found that it worked, but not all that well, except in a few special cases.
It would eventually split anything I could split with my big monster maul, but would take a LOT more hits to do it. (however each hit was easier) - however the "just pick up the weight and drop" approach didn't work, you needed to really throw the weight down.
It was surprisingly noisy, much more so than a sledge and wedge.
I did find it useful on stringy wood where it would crack, but not come apart - you could drive the thing in further than you could a standard wedge, which helped to separate / cut the sticking fibers (and possibly use it as a prybar, but that is risks bending the shaft.)
Ditto on chunks being held together by just one stubborn knot, or other gnarly bit.
I also found it good if you had some reason for wanting to hit into one exact spot.

However I don't think it was ever a "go-to" tool, more like a "last resort" item.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.