Manual says vent pipe out and up, but why?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Darkwing

Oct 11, 2018
New Jersey
Hello...
I have my stove set up and was confused about the vent pipe installation instructions...
The manual states to have vent pipe leave house as short as possible and then at least 3 foot straight up on outside wall...
But i am used from Wood stoves, that i want pipe inside as long as possible to harvest also pipe heat (and they get warm enough to do so)
Any reasons that i am overseeing here?

Thx!

No it can be run inside Im sure they just want to have a vertical in the exhaust so it will naturally clear smoke in case of power outage. Inside, outside im sure makes no difference.

Good to know...cause that would be a big bummer.
I get the vertical draft idea, but the outside was not sticking good with me...

I'd want it out of the house as soon as possible. Less chance for CO leaks, I feel it's a better draft to come straight out the stove/wall and up to a curl over. I don't think you'll need to worry about heat off the pipe if your stove is functioning correctly.

pipe outside makes cleaning easier. Usually tee cap is pretty close to the floor inside. If tee is outside just pop cap off and brush out.

pipe outside makes cleaning easier. Usually tee cap is pretty close to the floor inside. If tee is outside just pop cap off and brush out.
Not when it's -20°F below with -40°F windchills. Mine is inside just for that reason. When I pop the cleanout T off I have the shop vac running and have very little trouble with ash in the house even when I run the brush up and down it.

The little extra heat off the 3' rise and 18" of vertical out the wall is just a bonus, IMO.

To each their own on this one, there is no right or wrong, just what works best for you. Now if anyone wants to argue putting an OAK in, I'm game...PUT IT IN! Sorry I had to, I haven't seen any heated discussion about it so far this season. :)

Reactions: Mt Bob
Now if anyone wants to argue putting an OAK in, I'm game...PUT IT IN! Sorry I had to, I haven't seen any heated discussion about it so far this season. :)

Now Pete are you stirring the pot (pun intended) lol.

Reactions: FirepotPete
All is true. Just some stoves exhaust port is so low there is not much room to get tee cap off or if it is in a corner not much room to get to it. Which ever makes it easier to service in the future is the most important in my opinion.

Reactions: FirepotPete
All is true. Just some stoves exhaust port is so low there is not much room to get tee cap off or if it is in a corner not much room to get to it. Which ever makes it easier to service in the future is the most important in my opinion.

Agree it will depend on the stove.. I could not do it on mine as my outlet is only about 4 inches off the floor..

Mine goes up 5 ft.do blower thing In spring. EZPZ.

Attachments

• IMG_1993.JPG
    IMG_1993.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1841.JPG
    IMG_1841.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 82