Manual splitting - elbow

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Auzzie Gumtree

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2012
I have splitting firewood for ~ 2 years now all by hand using the Fiskars. i have noticed i have started getting a pain in my left elbow (i am right handed) especially if i try to hold something. Not sure if it is related to hand splitting or just because......;?

Anyone else noticed this?

Sounds like Bursitis, also known as tennis elbow. You probably pick up the splits with your left hand. I have had it twice in my right elbow. Doctor said that I could try braces, wraps and stuff and it would be healed in about a year and a half. Or I could just take it easy on it and it would be healed in a year and half. I went for option B but kept doing most of what I always had and lo and behold it went away in a year and a half.

wow - year and a half........ did you keep on splitting?

Yeah. You just have to adjust how you handle stuff. Look up Bursitis and see if it looks familiar.

Look up Bursitis and see if it looks familiar.
Not really - the pain is not in the actual elbow more in the wrist. Pain is felt when you try and grip something (like a split off the floor...)

Ah OK. I have that in both wrist now. But that is because I am old. Not from splitting. I mostly quit hand splitting twenty years ago and completely quit it last year when I got the little electric splitter for last minute resplits.

Get a splitter you will like it for sure!

Reactions: TreePointer
I have splitting firewood for ~ 2 years now all by hand using the Fiskars. i have noticed i have started getting a pain in my left elbow (i am right handed) especially if i try to hold something. Not sure if it is related to hand splitting or just because......;?

Anyone else noticed this?

Yes, I gave myself "splitter's elbow" about 4 years ago during a particularly energetic session with some big oak rounds. It comes from gripping the maul or axe handle very tightly with the left hand during the swing. Took about a year for the pain to subside. I'm much more careful now, but I notice a twinge whenever I do more than a little hand splitting.

Last edited:
its on the list...... i actually enjoy a bit of hand splitting. Its the only exercise i get.
I know me to. Im not that old,, in my early 40s but with a bad back. I don't know if it was the body building, the mountaineering or the years of construction and ski hill work but I cant do it anymore. With the splitter it really helps. Any activity with lots of vibration does it for me. I used to split cords of wood and feel nothing but satisfaction and no pain but those days are done for me. I guess it happens at different times for everyone. Maybe for you a splitter would just off set the days you are feeling a bit off...

its on the list...... i actually enjoy a bit of hand splitting. Its the only exercise i get.

im with you, i dont mind splitting for a bit stress relief and a workout.(also too tight to buy a splitter....hahah)...but i think you answered your own question here. I find that the less exercise i do, the more pain I feel. I wrecked my body racing downhill mtb's and other bike related carnage for quite a few years there and now if i don't work out different areas I get pain.....

t was the body building, the mountaineering or the years of construction and ski hill work
Me too - years of training sat in front of the TV and computer and now i just want to swing the fiskars for a couple of hours on the weekend and the body says '......i don't think so get back in front of the TV' . ::-)

I might have to think about a splitter. the body aint wot it used to be.;hm

These types of problems are common when doing any kind of pounding type of work, doing rough framing, splitting wood, etc.
If you went to a doctor he would tell you , slow down or lay off from what you are doing, or you will cause permanent damage

Yeah, I've strained some muscles recently by doing a lot of splitting when I was out of shape. At my age, I need to get back into a regular exercise program so that I'm ready to go when there's work to be done.

As far as arm pain (tendons?) I find that gripping lightly, especially at impact, reduces strains from repetitive gripping actions, and reduces the shock transmitted to the wrists, hands and arms. I want to grip only just tightly enough to keep the ax from flying into the woods, or through a window. ==c

Depending on how you swing, I can see this effecting your elbow. Like some people above said, lighten up on your grip on the axe. If the pain doesn't go away in a week or two (with rest), I'd see a doctor.

I always wear a weight belt, tightly, when splitting. Always!

Reactions: Cold Is Dumb
These types of problems are common when doing any kind of pounding type of work, doing rough framing, splitting wood, etc.
If you went to a doctor he would tell you , slow down or lay off from what you are doing, or you will cause permanent damage
This kind of injury is begging for attention. You probably should see a doctor so you will have a proper diagnosis. It's not a good idea to self-diagnose and injuries like this can get chronic.

This kind of injury is begging for attention. You probably should see a doctor so you will have a proper diagnosis. It's not a good idea to self-diagnose and injuries like this can get chronic.
I didn't say, not to go to the doctor. Edit ,maybe I misinterpreted what you meant :)
I just say this because , my elbow was screwed up a few years ago , it was from using a hammer while framing, went to the doc and that's what he told me, and gave me meds

I didn't say, not to go to the doctor. Edit ,maybe I misinterpreted what you meant :)
I just say this because , my elbow was screwed up a few years ago , it was from using a hammer while framing, went to the doc and that's what he told me, and gave me meds
I know. I just referenced your post to agree with it:) I've had all kinds of overuse injuries and they're not fun and sometimes can take months to improve.

I've had tennis elbow (lateral epicondylitis) and golfer's elbow (the medial variety). I'm not a golfer or a tennis player. Go figure.

Reactions: HDRock
This might be a day late and dollar short if you are already in pain, but here's a few additional options to try...

Switch hitter: I did a number on my shoulder 2 years ago constantly raising the maul with only one hand/arm. Switch it up, it feels like re-learning how to ride a bike when you are switch-hitting, but it lessens the repetitive motion on each muscle group, or at least spreads it around to the other side.

Quit when you are ahead: The pile isn't going anywhere, a little at a time is easier than a lot at once.

Now of course sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do, time constraints, weather, etc. Just my $0.02

Thanks for all the replies - i think i will try to lesson my grip and see how that goes for a week. if it still persists i will give the doc a ring.

Switch hitter: I did a number on my shoulder 2 years ago constantly raising the maul with only one hand/arm. Switch it up, it feels like re-learning how to ride a bike when you are switch-hitting, but it lessens the repetitive motion on each muscle group, or at least spreads it around to the other side.

I don't think i could swing both ways () - i dont think that sounds quite right but you know what i mean.

Oh! Oh! I see a mudslide developing.

I call mine axe arm, my right elbow has been hurting for about a half year,I have a splitter now, so it look like I have another full year of this pain to go, oh yes, I do pick up the splits with my right hand and then i really feel it at night, but I just can't stop myself, so I guess I will have to wait out the year.....

I call mine axe arm, my right elbow has been hurting for about a half year,I have a splitter now, so it look like I have another full year of this pain to go, oh yes, I do pick up the splits with my right hand and then i really feel it at night, but I just can't stop myself, so I guess I will have to wait out the year.....
If it starts to hurt while picking up a split with that arm then help it along with your other hand, to relieve the stress and strain, don't try to push through it, it may seem lame to move that split with two hands but, it will reduce the strain on the bad one so it can heal faster while still working.
I have seen people in the factory , just keep pushing, and end up crippling one or both arms or hands, do what you have to do but learn to be humble (smart) sometimes

Although I don't recommend self diagnosis, tennis elbow and golfer's elbow are pretty distinctive. If you google those terms, there is a ton of info on them because they are both so common. Based on what you're describing, I'd bet on one or the other.

The OP's symptoms are different though if he feels it toward the wrist.

The OP's symptoms are different though if he feels it toward the wrist.
I agree, and also agree whether it is hand, wrist , elbow, it can be very distinctive, and unrecoverable, many times surgery won't even help and can even make it worse

Status
Not open for further replies.