Many thanks hearth.com , New TL300

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

travelindog

Jul 18, 2009
St. Louis MO area
Many thanks to the folks on this board for the valuable information you have shared. It has been so useful in our search for finding just the right stove for our needs. My Harman TL300 installation was completed yesterday shortly after lunch. It looks very nice, even better than expected with the trim kit and accessories. After admiring it for a few hours, I started it up.

I can't express how well the stove performed. Slight break-in paint smell, nothing real bad. Also, one puff of smoke out the front when I didn't direct the baffle properly and those were the only issues.

This stove absolutely amazed me with the control of the burn, and the length of burn. Bed of coals in less than an hour and afterburn soon after. No visible chimney smoke. Added a couple of splits and two rounds and enjoyed a very nice even fire that was still going strong after 10 hours, with hot coals in the am...fantastic! What was really nice was the fact that after dialed down it didn't run me out of the room, which initially was a concern. At the same time, the stove demonstrated a lot of heating power with the fan turned on. I'm real anxious to take on Ol' Man Winter with this stove. The top load is so convenient, I just love it, and I know this is going to be a lot less of a mess than the front load Appalachian I replaced.

I have no doubt that my learning curve with this stove has and will continue to be shortened considerably by the information shared on Hearth.com. The information from folks like uptrapper, mishmouse, bart, mountain stove guy and a bunch of others was so helpful. For the dealers located way outside my area who post and/or advertise here and who were kind enough to assist with helpful advice...I'll be placing orders for accessories and such. You're a great bunch.

Thanks again and God Bless!

travelindog said:
Many thanks to the folks on this board for the valuable information you have shared. It has been so useful in our search for finding just the right stove for our needs. My Harman TL300 installation was completed yesterday shortly after lunch. It looks very nice, even better than expected with the trim kit and accessories. After admiring it for a few hours, I started it up.

I can't express how well the stove performed. Slight break-in paint smell, nothing real bad. Also, one puff of smoke out the front when I didn't direct the baffle properly and those were the only issues.

This stove absolutely amazed me with the control of the burn, and the length of burn. Bed of coals in less than an hour and afterburn soon after. No visible chimney smoke. Added a couple of splits and two rounds and enjoyed a very nice even fire that was still going strong after 10 hours, with hot coals in the am...fantastic! What was really nice was the fact that after dialed down it didn't run me out of the room, which initially was a concern. At the same time, the stove demonstrated a lot of heating power with the fan turned on. I'm real anxious to take on Ol' Man Winter with this stove. The top load is so convenient, I just love it, and I know this is going to be a lot less of a mess than the front load Appalachian I replaced.

I have no doubt that my learning curve with this stove has and will continue to be shortened considerably by the information shared on Hearth.com. The information from folks like uptrapper, mishmouse, bart, mountain stove guy and a bunch of others was so helpful. For the dealers located way outside my area who post and/or advertise here and who were kind enough to assist with helpful advice...I'll be placing orders for accessories and such. You're a great bunch.

its a real nice unit... do yourself a favor before you dirty up the inside too much, and learn how to dissassemble the rear bricks and clean out the afterburn chamber while its new and everything is not coated with ash and char marks... you will need to do this once a year, maybe twice if you are aggressivly burning. try taking those things apart and putting them back in place while it is all new and clean... you will love this unit. did you get the awesome cooking grill?

Summit,

Your post exemplifies the usefulness of this board. Honestly, after last night's fire my thought was "maybe you ought to do the disassemble/clean before everything gets blackened up". My next thought was "Nah, fire up and wait 'til later". "Later" probably would have been next April. I'll definitely take your advice and do the clean before the next fire.

By the way, I worked real hard to look at a Summit Classic per your recommendation, but there were no stocking dealers anywhere near here. Bugged my local dealer about it. The closest local dealer was chronically VERY unresponsive with returning calls and all, and darned if today I didn't get an email from them, and they told me they're now carrying the PE line! BTW, you were dead on about the 8" chimney drafting ok on the 6"stove flue.

Yeah, I got that neat grill option and I'll be using it a lot. The installers were going on about it, and the one fella says "you can even get a rotisserie for it". That's the one and only option I passed on, due to cost. Don't know if it's true or not, but the dealer tells me the grill works like a Jenn Aire with the bottom draft, all the grease & such being drawn down.

Thanks for the good advice.

travelindog said:
Don't know if it's true or not, but the dealer tells me the grill works like a Jenn Aire with the bottom draft, all the grease & such being drawn down.

It's true. Only the food tastes even better. Top opened or closed, but you can get a little more smoke flavor by closing the top while you grill. The neighbors will smell whatever you're cooking. It's fantastic.

Handle your FireDome afterburner with care when you pull it. They are fragile, and $300 a pop.

travelindog said:

Does your manual tell you to have some "break in" fires? 10 hrs for the first fire seems a bit much to me but maybe I'm wrong...
Have fun with the stove--it's a nice one!

sullystull said:
Does your manual tell you to have some "break in" fires?

I don't believe it does. Always a good idea, but I think Harmans are assembled with gaskets and not with cement, which means that no curing is needed.

branchburner said:
sullystull said:
Does your manual tell you to have some "break in" fires?

I don't believe it does. Always a good idea, but I think Harmans are assembled with gaskets and not with cement, which means that no curing is needed.
Thanks for the info...I stand corrected:) Certainly not the first time (or the last I'm sure)

Break-in fires...No, I checked the manual, and no word at all on this for the steel box. Asked the dealer, and he replied "fire it up n go".

All the same, I made a low n slow fire and kept the fuel level a lot lower than I will this Winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.