maple and cherry logs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkM

Feb 4, 2006
Orange, Massachusetts
Anyone know what mills are paying for maple and cherry logs (Massachusetts)? I have access to about 1000 bf of cherry and 5,000 bf of hard maple. I would like to cut some of the bigger stuff next winter. Just trying to get an idea on $$. Been cutting some white pine for my father-in-law and he's getting $250/thousand at the landing.

Here's a website where you can see what at least one mill in Massachusetts claims to be paying. You can sign in for free and search by species and specs and state.

http://www.sawlogbulletin.com/

The range is pretty wide, but it looks like $600 to $800 for decent, larger diameter maple and somewhat more for larger diameter decent cherry. I'd make some phone calls and shop around if I were you. Other than Gingras, check with Bannish Lumber in Chester, MA. Canadian log buyers may be paying more--sometimes they do. PM me with your fax number and I'll send you the "Logs Wanted" section from The Northern Logger magazine. It's got all the phone numbers of mills buying logs around the Northeast, though for some reason, nobody is listing prices in recent months.

Thanks Eric. I just realized that website is Littleton, NH. I have a Loggers Buying Guide that's put out by the same place. They list some ads with prices for timber, mostly NY, but there is such a wide range. I realize grade is everything. I didn't know they had a website though. The prices look to be about right, as far as pine is concerned. They say anywhere from $150-330 and we've been getting $250. That's right in the middle.
They didn't list a minimum diameter above 14" for maple. I know that's just a minimum but I measured the biggest one at 22". Eric, do you know if when maple gets that big if the quality of the log deteriorates at all? Or is bigger better. I know with pine it doesn't make a difference. We just cut a couple at 28" diameter at the butt and they were beutiful logs!! The maple I have access to is really straight and some of it doesn't have branches for maybe 30 feet. I have no idea how it would be graded though. The biggest cherry had a 19" dbh and the smallest one I would cut for logs was 12".
My fax is all messed up so I can't receive anything right now. I won't be cutting these until next winter anyway, my tractor blew a head gasket and it's getting too muddy now. Just trying to get an idea for next year. Hopefully the prices will stay up.
Thanks again.

I think prices will stay up. The economy is pretty strong and there's still a shortage of loggers. Plus, quality logs tend to hold their value even with the lower grades are slipping. Of course, no guarantees, but it's hard to go wrong with hard maple and black cherry.

As to size, it kind of depends on the mill, but I'm not aware of any necessary degrade on big logs. Big diameters sure help on the scale. One of the main considerations is the size of the heart. In maple, the smaller the better. In cherry, the bigger the better (but they're all heart anyway).

Since your fax machine is busted, you can subscribe to The Northern Logger for only $12 a year and check out the log wanted ads every month. Check out our website, www.northernlogger.com if interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.