Maple....but what kind?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PapaDave

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 23, 2008
Northern MI - in the mitten
This Maple lost one of the trunk off shoots last week, and I got to it today for a bit.
Posted about this tree (and another close by) last year and the thought was that it's a hard Maple.
Different pics today......what say ye', experts?
IMG_20130725_163941_479[1].jpg IMG_20130725_163948_475[1].jpg

Reactions: ScotO
Looks like it to me....

Yep, make her into firewood.

It looks like Sugar Maple.

Sugar seeds in later summer, I see some helicopters developing on it. It is Sugar for sure.

Thanks for verifying. It's firewood no matter what.:cool:
I think the whole tree needs to come down.
This the base on the other side.
IMG_20130725_161426_443[1].jpg
This is where it broke in the storm.
IMG_20130725_161443_450[1].jpg

Sugar maple without a doubt Dave.....like was mentioned already, the helicopters pretty much give it away! And the bark and leaves seal the deal....

Good stuff, my friend.

A couple mentioned seeing the seeds (helicopters) starting, but I didn't. Hmmm.
I plan to go back and cut more ASAP, and I'll check.
Right edge halfway up looks like a few.

I think I'd start preparing however you need to for the rest of it to come down - looks like it could happen in the next windstorm.

I think I'd start preparing however you need to for the rest of it to come down - looks like it could happen in the next windstorm.
Plus park the car in a different area. ==c

The more I look at the leaves in the picture compared to the link, the less I'm convinced that it's a Sugar Maple.
http://www.tapmytrees.com/sugarmaple.html

I think it's a sugar - going by the pics & what we have here for sugars. There might be some small differences between species in different regions that aren't coming though in the pics. Here, it would be either be sugar/hard or white/soft, and the bark is too rough there for white.

EDIT: Did ya taste it? ==c

Reactions: Freeheat and ScotO
I thought the leaves looked like Norway but the seedpod is NOT Norway. I used to call them helicoptors when I was a kid. Forgot that expression. I would say the seedpods are pointing towards Sugar.

Tap what is left of it next spring Dave.

Reactions: PapaDave
Got both loads split the last couple days. Not quite 1/3 cord, but there's a small bit left to cut at the house, so it may get there.
Started stacking today, but didn't get far. Maybe 1/2 the trailer.>>
Need to empty the trailer so I can haul the tractor to the shop. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
That is def sugar maple. Leaf and bark pattern are consistent with sugar. It should have a Cane sugar smell to it when you cut it up too. Sugar smells very sweet where as silver and Norway have a more mild musty aroma to them.

Went back today and cleaned up the rest.
Got a small bit of branch wood...some big enough to split, but most will not. It'll all go in the same stack.
Piled up all the branches up by the garage. There's still a bunch of wood in there, but it's small diameter. Should I cut it?
The stuff I got stacked last week already has checking on the ends,.......must be dry.;);lol

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Status
Not open for further replies.