Maple tree disease?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beatlefan

Feeling the Heat
Oct 2, 2015
Urbana, Ohio
maple 1.JPG maple 2.JPG maple 3.JPG I have a wooded lot and live near Dayton, Ohio. I've lost all of my ash trees to the EAB. Now all of my maple trees are showing signs of disease. Can anyone tell me what this is by the attached photos? Is there anything I can do to save these trees?

Talk to a local arborist/DNR rep or take a drive away from your lot to see if there is a similar issue with other maples in your area.

Talk to a local arborist/DNR rep or take a drive away from your lot to see if there is a similar issue with other maples in your area.
Will do. There's a large nursery close by. I'll cut a few samples and see if they can identify the problem.

If it is a disease, don't move it around on twigs, leaves, branches, wood.. Use pictures! -an ounce of prevention

Reactions: Lake Girl
My first thought would be a stressed tree from drought.

Thanks everyone for the input. Definitely looks like verticillium wilt, which according to the article from Begreen, closely resembles stress from drought conditions. We did have a moderate drought this year.

Hopefully they'll bounce back in the spring, because nearly every maple tree in my woods has it.

Status
Not open for further replies.