Maple Tree in distress? Can anyone tell me whats going on here

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, an actual hollow spot forming into the tree. I'll check that out. The vast majority of the tree poses no danger to the house, even it fell straight toward it. I might lose some pieces of vinyl siding, but even that would be a stretch (literally).

That being said - I'm a tad confused. No one has stated anything that distinctly concerns them - i.e. "oh that looks bad". All I've heard is "well this is something to look for". Is this tree in distress based upon what you can see in the pics? If so, what is the sign of distress - discolorating, de-barking, what? Because I'll keep track of that.

I'm getting recommendations to bring an arborist out to "save the tree" and yet on the flip side I'm hearing "well, could be a hollow spot there - but some trees live a long time with a hollow spot. Some maples have roots that wrap around them. Could be root-bound." - but all of those are ambiguous statements compared to "...If you want to save the tree have a pro come out" as in - my tree is on deaths bed.

I am extremely grateful for the advice gents - I'm just looking for some clarity on some statements.

If that tree is 36 diameter it is MUCH older than you think it is. Which makes that hollow spot issue more of one considering the age of the tree. But if its fully leafed that is a great sign. But yes just have a pro look at it and report back.

Yeah, i talked it through with my wife. We think it's far older than I originally realized and the development was built around them. My property line on one side hits a carriage-way, which dates back quite some ways. Horses still have right-of-way there :)

Anyway, the carriage way winds around and this maple is just far enough off of it that I think it came from back when the carriage way was actually used still. Elsewhere, there were old and very mature pines planted in rows lining the carriageway.

I thought this development was cleared and then some things were planted, but looking around I realized we're filled with 70-80' pin oaks, 60-70' elms, 70-80 silver maples, etc.

Looks like back in the early 70s this plot of land (probably 150-200 acres) was mapped out with alot of the good trees left on the properties. I'm not used to seeing that in developments, so my mind naturally thought otherwise.

I'll try to measure the hollow.

I have a crimson maple in the back yard. Planted about 1980.
It's about 1/2 the size of yours.

Has root showing just like yours.

Not trying to grow lawn there and having mulch is good because you won't be scalping the roots.
Nor possibly bending lawn mower blades.

Looks pretty healthy to me, but I'd be looking at the leaves and branches not the trunk and the tiny bit of roots showing.

You've got some bare wood showing at the base.
Bare wood can be prone to insect damage.
and rot

Not a lot you can do about it. I've seen people carve out the rot and fill with concrete.
Might help keep the moisture out and slow down the decay.
It's more of a structural problem though. A future one. Maybe.
I've cut down maples that had dead spots like that and the wood was hard as a rock and sound.
I've also had them rotten and the wood was like dirt inside.

I've got a tree with no heartwood.
Rotted right out at least 15 feet up.
It's got a lot of other trees around it, so it is a bit protected from the wind.
Been that way since I was a little kid. Hasn't grown much, but it hasn't gone anywhere either.

Status
Not open for further replies.