Maple?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cburke

Burning Hunk
Feb 24, 2014
Honeybrook Pennsylvania
Just about impossible to split, so I'm thinking it's good hardwood. Sugar maple maybe?
image.jpg image.jpg

Soft Maple

Probably silver maple because silver is common along rivers as it is 1 of only a few verities of trees that can live in the standing waters of flood season. Very common around my part of the Ohio River. And it can sometimes be a pain to split because of knots like the ones in your picture.

The argument of hard or soft can easily be put to rest if you have leaves attached to that tree anywhere.

No not really it is Soft Maple everyday at any sawmill I visit.

I see grey beech in the background. Looks like soft (tough to split) maple there.

The argument of hard or soft can easily be put to rest if you have leaves attached to that tree anywhere.
Could be a poison ivy tree... ;lol

Status
Not open for further replies.