Maples starting to turn already

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm starting to stack my wood next to my bldg...i keep it about 100 feet away during the summer. i'll have my first fire in about 7 weeks. i love the fall...always my favorite time minus the add'l work raking leaves. it was cool here last night. i have no complaints weather wise

Been seeing a little color the last few days, and noticed this one and another with even more leaves turning. You may need to zoom to see the leaves. Pretty much middle of pic.
Our lone Birch is also starting. Seems early to me.
Is this a sign that winter will be early or very cold?
All the ferns started about a week ago.
View attachment 107846
I looked at the weather rock this morning, it was the same color so all is good.!!! My wife noticed we have some trees in our area turning, most of them were in very wet areas.

Colder than normal with some real heavy snowfalls, especially on the east coast.

you boys down in Kansas have been hit really hard with flooding and bad weather hey

Yea, further south into Kansas has been getting their fair share of water. But here in the city, we've been a nice little bit here and there the last 2 weeks. Its been enough to fill up my rainbarrels for the garden.

I love summer, but I also love fall....and I love winter even more. So I say bring it, and bring it big.....
Hoping for a hard winter here in central PA. Lots of big snows is fine by me.......

I'm ok with the cold, but the big snows are a different story. Snow removal is one chore that I don't love. Gathering wood, etc. is great...Shoveling, snow blowers, slippery roads...that I could do without

I'm ok with the cold, but the big snows are a different story. Snow removal is one chore that I don't love. Gathering wood, etc. is great...Shoveling, snow blowers, slippery roads...that I could do without

You obviously need bigger machinery.

<-- looking forward to running my 64" snowblower this winter.

I could do my driveway with my 24" walk behind, but... I'd never make it to work at a reasonable time, doing that. So, I kept the 24" walk-behind for walkways, and got the 64" PTO-driven for the driveway (10' wide x 450' long + two parking areas).

As is always the case, buying that snowblower in 2011 guaranteed no snow the last two years, but I'm hoping I can do all of my snow removal in under an hour with this dynamic duo. Then I can still get to work by 8am on snow days!

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I live in western NC in the foothills about 35 miles east of Asheville. A couple weeks ago we had some upper 50s over night and the same is predicted for later this coming week with daytime highs only in the 70s. When I hike with the dogs every morning I've noticed a lot of maple leaves falling, but they are mostly blighted from all our rain (over 16" in July alone) and aren't turning red, still green.

As for snow removal: our snowfall totals are all over the chart. The first year my wife and I moved into our new home here we got 14" of snow one day! Then we went for several years without a single snowfall all winter. The past two years we didn't have to pull out the snow shovels. We got to see snow a couple of times, but only a couple of inches that melted in a few hours. Like Joful, we also have a 150 yard long drive that has to get shoveled when it snows. It is a steep slope up to the house with drop off on either side of the drive, so without complete snow removal we aren't going anywhere! To top it off we also have to shovel about 40 yards of the private road leading to our driveway since it also runs up a hill that stays in the shade all day long and without shoveling the neighbor's 4 wheel drive packs the snow into ice and then there is no coming and going for days or even longer. And to top it off, my wife and I do all this by hand with snow shovels!

What I like about this time of year is that even when it's hot, there tends to be some relief at night.

Yes around mid-August the nights at least can be cool. Days can still get really hot here in Virginia even into September. Summer has been cooler than normal so far this year where I am so I'm kind of expecting August to be really hot to make up for it.

Crazy stuff. Was just commenting about seeing some maples starting to turn up my way a couple days ago. Where does the time go.

Several of our soft maples are beginning to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.