Marathon Hot Water Heater vs Indirect Oil DHW

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hemlock

Feeling the Heat
May 6, 2009
east coast canada
I am going to replace my indirect fired oil water heater with a Marathon electric. The indirect oil seems very inefficient, despite what the guy at the store tells me. Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences with these heaters. I have read some great reviews, (here and elsewhere) regarding the Marathon heaters.
On another note, is it just m, or is indirect oil not very efficient? It seems as though the burner runs for some time, and comes on quite frequently. It is costing about $110 (CAD) per month for DHW, which seems terribly excessive. I can get a Marathon for $1229 (CAD). Does that seem like a afir price? Thanks.

I have a 50 gallon Marathon hot water heater. I think I paid $800 delivered by truck to my house via Yellow Freight from Minnesota (freight was probably $100).

First, this hot water heater should last forever since there is no anode or glass lining. If you don't have hard water or particulates to settle in the tank, there is literally nothing to go wrong that can't be fixed. These tanks are really well insulated.

My wife and I are frugal with hot water (it's not hard, and we are not taking cold showers :) ). Our hot water cost with electricity is ~$20/month using an off-peak electric rate (~$0.11/kWh). It is hard to believe that an oil heating system with all it's inefficiencies can compete with that. I did a calculation once and found that if you assumed something like 80% efficiency in burning oil to heat hot water, then oil at $2.75/gallon was more expensive than my electric rate to heat hot water. However, most people I have read on this forum achieve perhaps 50% efficiency in heating hot water with oil, and maybe worse. So oil just can't compete unless your electricity rates are ridiculously high.

Thanks. I think I'll go pick it up today. Oil-free at last!

Status
Not open for further replies.