Marinite instead of Micore 300

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MountainStoveGuy

Minister of Fire
Jan 23, 2006
Boulder County
I was talking to one of our subcontractor installers the other day about a source on Micore 300. He said that he no longer uses it because of the density and fragility. He has been using this product for years, apparently its structural, and has a 1.2 r value per 1/2". Mabey someone can confirm that with the specs listed below. Have any of you used this product?

MariniteTM I panels can be used in construction and refurbishment of ovens, dryers and other insulated housings for the retention of control or heat. It, also, can be used in areas of fire protection, fire training, and as lightweight insulation panels

MariniteTM I combines structural strength with high thermal insulating values. It is incombustible, highly damage resistant, non-corroding, and extremely water resistant. Mariniteâ I panels also provide fire safety, uniform temperature control, and require minimal maintenance.

An oven dried, structural insulation board formed from calcium silicate with inert fibers and reinforcing agents

48 x 96 in the following thicknesses in inches- ½, ¾, 7/8, 1, 1 ¼, 1 ½, and 2; cut and fabricated to shape.

Off-white

Density
46 lbs/ft3 - 737 kg/m3

Maximum operating temperature
1200° F

Shrinkage, during initial heating condition

length & width
0.4%

thickness
1.4%

Compressive strength - for 10% deformation
1350 psi

Flexural strength
800 psi (56 kg/cm2)

Pandux, Durometer Hardness

Normal moisture content
3%

Thermal Conductivity
.81 BTU-in/ft2,hr,° F@400° F (0.12W/mK@205° C)

.86 BTU-in/ft2,hr,° F@1000° F (0.12W/mK@538° C)

Fire hazard(ASTM 84) flame spread

smoke developed

Volume resistivity (ASTM D-257)

600° F - dry
8.15 x 1011 ohm-cm

75° F - 50% relative humidity
9.83 x 107 ohm-cm

71° F - 91% relative humidity
3.49 x 106 ohm-cm

Dielectric strength (ASTM D-495)
45 volts/mil

Screw holding strength @7/8in penetration
220 lbs (100kg)

I called the local dealerthat the installer buys this from. He is a retailer in denver, for anyone in this area, here is the info
Renler Co
2800 S Shoshone st
Englewood CO

Br prepared to drop $271.90 for a 4X8 sheet!

MountainStoveGuy said:
Br prepared to drop $271.90 for a 4X8 sheet!

I think you found the problem! :)
Micore 300 is $30 for a 4x8 sheet.
I've heard complaints before about the fragility of micore 300 but I don't really get it. Who cares if its almost as fragile as cardboard? It doesn't seem to compress much, I used it in my hearth pad and it worked out just fine, many others have as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.