Mark 1 Harman coal stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BB39

Jun 20, 2009
Georgia
Hello to all,
I joined this forum today to see if I can get a question answered about my Mark 1 Harman coal stove. It vents through the back and the flange for the pipe has three pre drilled holes in it for the pipe connection. I'd like to use the Supervent DSP Double Wall Stove Pipe. The pipe diameter needed is 6". Would the Supervent Stovepipe work with this stove? I'm going through the wall with it and not the roof. Any suggestions or anyone that has one of these stoves, I'd greatly appreciate any pointers.

Thanks,

Dan

Sure, that would work.
All double wall interior systems and HT chimneys have adapters which take you back to single wall so that you can connect to the stove. In most cases that I know of, these adapters will fit inside the back collar of the stove - and you will use furnace cement to make the joint tight. In most cases you will be able to use the screws also.

In some cases when you are going straight out and then up, it might not pay to even switch to interior double wall pipe - just run the double wall HT (exterior) chimney a little further to the stove - with an adapter on the end to go inside your flue collar.

Oh, also consider that if you are going to burn coal, you might eat away regular chimney stainless. Some brands of chimney offer an optional upgrade to a better class of Stainless Steel - usually 316.

Thanks for the info Craig. It'll probably take a VERY long time for the stainless chimney to be eaten away. I only plane on firing the stove up when in my work shop which is where it will be. Two other questions, would a stove cement rated at 800 degrees work to seal the adaptor in place on the stove flange? And would a universal chimney adaptor be needed to connect to the stove pipe adaptor that twist locks into the chimney pipe that comes through the wall thimble?

Dan

The Harmon Mk series coal stoves are the absolute TOP of the stoves, the best. They also do a very good job of burning wood but Harmon does not advertise that fact. You have a super stove that can burn coal when it gets really cold. Hope you enjoy your stove as you can't get a better one, Captain Hornet

Thanks Captain Hornet,
I did my home work long before I bought one. I checked several other models from other manufactures, but Harman seemed to be the best. It was well worth the money spent on it. And I plan on burning wood in it most of the time, but every now and then I'll burn coal. All I got to do now is install the chimney pipe and stovepipe and I'm good to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.