masonary chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrepasky02

Hearth Supporter
Nov 15, 2009
cambridge, oh
i have a wood burning fireplace, would like to install a wood burning insert .

do you have to line the chimney with a s/s or some kind of liner.?? or can i just install the insert & connect to the damper & burn it. ?

herman

exterior chimney or interior chimney? is the chimney lined with clay? ie what condition is it in

most will say you need a full liner - i have a direct connect that works well

People will give you advice but be sure to listen to what you "have to do" vs. what's best to do. You can build a Cadillac flue system out of that masonry chimney or you can do the bare minimum. Some of it depends on the condition of your existing chimney. If it is still a safely constructed chimney that hasn't been compromised by broken tiles or cracked structure.

If your current masonry chimney is safe and sound then you have a few options. Your stoves owner's manual will also show all possible options and probably tell you the best one.

Status
Not open for further replies.