Masonry chimney installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dhungy

Feeling the Heat
Jan 7, 2010
Fingerlakes
When installing a pellet stove into an existing masonry chimney do you need to attach the exhaust pipe to a flexible liner and run it to the stop? I have heard that is the way to install it but I have also heard from a stove dealer you don't have to run the liner just went to the chimney and you should be good. any suggestion? attaching a pic of my application

Attachments

• lp stove.jpg
    lp stove.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 337
If you have a lined chimney that's up to code, you can connect to it with single wall pipe from the stove to the chimney, just like a wood stove.

BJN644 said:
If you have a lined chimney that's up to code, you can connect to it with single wall pipe from the stove to the chimney, just like a wood stove.
agreed, but you are going to find out this is a local code issue......some installers will not connect to a clay tile lined chimney without a liner....

how do I know if its up to code?

check your local building code, code official, and owners manual reccomendations.....

2 things determine the answer.
1. Manufacturer requirements
2. State and/or local codes

Mine does not have flex pipe.

Lousyweather said:
check your local building code, code official, and owners manual reccomendations.....

or find an NFPA manual

dhungy said:
how do I know if its up to code?

You should have it inspected if in doubt of it's condition.

BJN644 said:
Lousyweather said:

or find an NFPA manual

I suggested that in an earlier post about a guy who was putting a pellet stove in his garage, and got jumped all over, basically saying that if the building official ok'd it, its safe.........funny how its safe in some backwater town, but most other places recognize the folly of doing so....go figure.....end of rant

Status
Not open for further replies.