Masonry Chimney Warm To Touch??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob From Wisconsin

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2005
East-Central Wisconsin
Am new to masonry chimnies...
Is it normal for them to get warm to the touch
after a whole day of burning (hot burns)??
Your input is appreciated..

Rob

Yup, you're sending up around 450F+ temps inside the liner, some of it transfers to the masonry. More so with unlined chimneys. In the morning if there's a frost and I've been burning all night, my roof will normally be lacking frost around 6 feet of my chimney. When my roof is covered in snow it will be melted around my chimney.

Totally normal. They can even get hot.

I was getting worried, I put a digital thermometer on the stone of mine right above the mantle...I burned it hot and got it to register at 121 degrees after 3 days of burning. It would drop to about 90 as the fire cooled. I checked with the local hearth shop and they told me that they routinely get their mantles to 175 beacuse theirs are not code compliant and have never had an issue. The guy said that wood can get 400 plus before it ignites! I still wonder about the finishes and at what point they go up? I too noticed that the roof has no frost for 6 feet arround the chimney.

This is not a bad situation all the heat there is storage that is slowly released back into the home over a time preiod long after the fire burns down 120 /150 is good
Sould like you have an ideal setup. Much better storage than any soap stone stove can achieve. In fact one would not want a soap stone stove in these circumstances a cast Iron will rediate more heat to those stones to be stored and released later

Behind my stove is granite field stone totaling with masonry to be 16" thick floor to ceiling 12' wide. it can store up quite a bit of heat even better center location interior chimney

The floor joists above my stove in the basement hang out at around 121. I don't like it but I don't worry about it either. The rule of thumb I have seen many places is that matierial shouldn't get more than 90 degrees above the ambient temperature.

Yes bricks can get nice and toasty. That heat returns to you as a bonus overnight when the stove dies down. Makes you think about how much heat is being wasted by an external chimney, doesn't it?

BeGreen said:
Yes bricks can get nice and toasty. That heat returns to you as a bonus overnight when the stove dies down. Makes you think about how much heat is being wasted by an external chimney, doesn't it?

Exactly...my exterior chimney is always cold to the touch. Probably more so now with the insulated liner.

Big Eric said:
My masonry chimney runs up the middle of my home and it is still warm to the touch up in the attic. It does help radiate the heat. Plus, I have a wood furnace that is in the basement and it heats my concrete floor and walls up down there and really helps keep the house warm. It seems to take at least 24 hours for my basement to cool down. Likewise, it is slow to warm up which is why I burn 24/7 and just open the windows when it's warm out.

I agree. My masonry chimney runs up through the middle of our house
& is exposed in our kitchen pantry. A fair amount of heat is radiated into
our main floor from there (a bonus). Doesn't seem to get too hot, & takes
a good days worth of burning to get to this point.
Thanks for all of the input from all of you....

Rob

Yep.....my masonry chimney (w/ clay liner) runs up the wall in my unheated (but well insulated) garage and upstairs shop. After a 24 hour burn, it gets to the point where I cant keep my palm on the masonry for more than 3 seconds without risking a burn. Keeps the garage nice & toasty, about 55-60 when its 25 outside. Interior masonry chimneys just keep giving and giving if you dont mind the long warm-up times.

Glad you mentioned that since this is the first time I've burned non stop for several days. I put in a stainless liner this year. It is considerably less warm than it used to get. And while the hearth stone would get very warm, if I went upstairs and touched the sheet rock wall above the hearth....brick chimney all the way up on the outsie wall, you would never be able to tell. the wall never felt warm on the second floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.