Masonry Thimble coming through wall at angle?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zmcnutt

Oct 22, 2016
SW Ohio
Hi everyone, I recently bought a Drolet tundra. I am planning on lining an abandoned flue which serviced an old oil furnace its been replaced with 90% Lp furnace. My problem is the hole where I would connect my masonry thimble to my Tee is offset. Meaning my wall thimble would exit my basement wall at an angle. Has any encountered this before? I have considered putting in a new hole that would be square to chimney but I am concerned about structural integrity of chimney if I did so. Thoughts and suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

Hi everyone, I recently bought a Drolet tundra. I am planning on lining an abandoned flue which serviced an old oil furnace its been replaced with 90% Lp furnace. My problem is the hole where I would connect my masonry thimble to my Tee is offset. Meaning my wall thimble would exit my basement wall at an angle. Has any encountered this before? I have considered putting in a new hole that would be square to chimney but I am concerned about structural integrity of chimney if I did so. Thoughts and suggestions are appreciated. Thanks
We would need some pics to make any kind of suggestions really

Here are a few pics and diagram to try to show my situation. I don't think I would have a problem getting the thimble into the snout on the tee however I may have to chisel out some concrete to make it work.

Attachments

• Wall Thimble.png
    Wall Thimble.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 96
  • 20161022_110927.jpg
    20161022_110927.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 134
  • 20161022_110959.jpg
    20161022_110959.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 130
Yeah you are probably going to have to straighten that out. I would cut a new hole in the basement wall to make it straight and not mess with the chimney much at all. You will then have to fill the old hole in the wall with bricks or block and mortar.

Thanks. That is what my original thoughts were. I am assuming I could just core drill through the basement wall to the chimney. My next concern would be drilling through the block around the clay liner.

Thanks. That is what my original thoughts were. I am assuming I could just core drill through the basement wall to the chimney. My next concern would be drilling through the block around the clay liner.

I guess you could use a core drill we would just use a demo hammer. Why would you be worried about going into the chimney? You would be pretty much going into the same old hole.

I was thinking about drilling a new hole closer to the stoves outlet.

Status
Not open for further replies.