masonry wood fireplace doors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sdhearth

Feb 13, 2017
NY
In my other post, I found out I have a down draft in the morning when the outside temperature is cold. Let's say I put a top damper to stop the downdraft the times I don't use the fireplace. For the time I do use the fireplace, I am hoping that I can get some fireplace doors and close them as the fire is dying out before I go to sleep. Even if that doesn't work I think the fireplace doors would be an attractive addition and not a total waste of money.

I made this separate thread just so I could get some recommendations on inexpensive and good looking fireplace doors for my situation. I know nothing of fireplace doors and the chimney guy suggested I look at thermo-rite and tell him what I like. However, I have no idea what would look good in my fireplace. And thermo-rite doesn't have prices. Also, I don't know which features I need and which features do not apply to me and would be a waste of money. And maybe what I need is in Home depot and I don't need to get too fancy? I'm going to upload a pic of the fireplace in case that helps.

http://i.imgur.com/qYabuiT.jpg

Last edited:
What about going with an insert? The advantages - you get a door and you get a much better heating device. At least compare the prices to see what the difference may be between a door installed and an insert.

I'm into masonry heaters so I don't know much about inserts. Maybe someone else who has been in a similar situation or has installed one for someone can tell you what they think.

I installed the Carson on my fireplace. They look descent and are well built.
those look nice and not so expensive. Do you close them at all after the fire is dying out? Was the fireplace cold in the mornings prior to the doors and did the doors help?

I installed them to be closed at the end of the night when I have mostly coals left. That cuts down the amount of warm house air going up the chimney during the night while the damper is still open. I never had a cold air problem. My damper closes tight.

Not implying that you should get an insert, but if the insert is in the cards than I wouldn't burn in the fireplace, save yourself the time / money on having to clean the flue out before installing a liner, especially if the flue is already clean from the previous owner not using the fire place.

Fireplace doors certainly aren't known for being cheap. You really do get what you pay for.