Massive windfallen walnut

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I'm going to take off that right limb tomorrow -weather permitting- get some measurements and better pics, and go from there. I've got an Echo 310 with a 16" bar and an ATV. I'm way out gunned here. I'm not thinking of names for my new yacht just yet. ;)

You may have some special wood there! I would want that tree to live on in some fashion. However it would need to be a huge diameter, as your suggesting, to fetch the big dollars.

Look at Keim Lumber in Ohio's website under walnut slabs and see what they sell them for. Also check out Homestead furniture in Ohio and look at their slab tables. I heard Homestead had a huge walnut tree 60" diameter, shipped many miles to use for making live edge furniture. They were going to market the furniture as coming all from the same tree. It's not unreasonable for you to consider shipping it to a sawmill that can slab it and dry it. If it's cut into thick slabs wide enough for tables it may fetch a good dollar.

A google search for figured walnut live edge slabs will be an eye opener. I think the key would be the diameter and if it figured or not.

Good luck

Last edited:
Cut that bad boy up and don't let the "you ought to make this and that blah blah blah naysayers get to you". You are not a logger and certainly don't have the equipment to handle logs. BTW, it will split great, I have made a lot of firewood out of walnut. If you have a lot of walnut left you may want to consider a bid for the future.

For this, see if you have a friend with a bigger saw as you are going to need a 30" bar.

Here is what I think of every time I see a walnut thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.