Max Acceptable Moisture Level?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WarmGuy

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 30, 2006
Far Northern Calif. Coast
Well, I've run out of this year's wood. :( We often have to have fires through June in our coastal location, sometimes year round!

I have some wood that I split 1-4 months ago. Today I bought a moisture meter and am getting readings between 25% and 40% for this wood (I split before reading).

At what max moisture level do you think I could start burning this wood?

Thanks,

Al

20% Rick

There is no way I would burn anything in my stove that was close to 40%mc. I usually don't burn anything unless it is below 18%. To put it in perspective the fresh cut hickory that I split today was at 26%mc so 24 is pretty green wood in my opinion.

If you're burning an old smoke dragon, WarmGuy, you can toss anything in there. If you're burning an EPA stove, you'll suffer dramatically decreased performance, and your flue may need cleaning shortly.

certified106 said:
I usually don't burn anything unless it is below 18%.
When I put some 20% fan-dried Ash into the stove, to steal the phrase of another poster here, it hissed like a pissed off cat. :lol:
I tossed some dead standing Black Oak branch rounds in a few days ago. It was 14-16%, no hissing at all, so that is what I'll be shooting for.

One quick way to dry splits a lot: stack some end-on alongside the stove a foot or two away. (So the temps don't EVER exceed 200 deg F.)

I stacked a piece of oak that came from an armload of hissers... About 10 minutes later I looked at a piece I stacked on the top shelf to check and could actually see steam! It was 24% when I resplit and checked. 20% has always been good.

Meter or no meter. 1 year minimum, DRY ventilated storage. No tarps, no ground contact.

Mid 20's on my cheapo meter appears to be fine with no sizzle. I really think these cheap meters read differently for everyone. :lol: Makes me glad I'm 3 years ahead and don't worry about the meter anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.