Maximum Freestanding Stove for 5.5" Flex liner.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mainstation

Feeling the Heat
Jan 4, 2009
N.Ont.
I am still toying with the idea of replacing my old R14 wood insert with a freestanding stove. I plan on removing the hearthstone and retrofitting the flex liner with a T cleanout. I'll have to get a stone mason in to do it properly.
But what are my limitations for stove size to match up with the liner. I was told the PE properly wouldn't be compatable. Existing set up uses a 5.5" SS flex (uninsulated) in a fieldstone chimney(about 27')(North facing) with a strong Westerly wind during the winter months.
I really want a good radiating heat stove unit and was thinking of the PE 27.
Thanks for any input.

Why uninsulated? I'd say with insulation that is a good tall chimney and I wouldn't expect to see a problem with that setup using 5.5.

pen

Even without insulation (although insulation always helps) Any decent stove design up to 3 cubic foot firebox should work fine on a 5.5. Just may want to keep an eye on buildup a little more often.

It sounds like you will be ok. Will you be punching a hole above the mantel through which a thimble will be run to connect the stove to?

Given your cold climate and 2000 sq ft house, I would seriously consider the Summit or other 3 cu ft stove instead of a 2 cu ft stove.

BeGreen said:
It sounds like you will be ok. Will you be punching a hole above the mantel through which a thimble will be run to connect the stove to?

Given your cold climate and 2000 sq ft house, I would seriously consider the Summit or other 3 cu ft stove instead of a 2 cu ft stove.

Yes, I have looked at the Summit online dozens of times. Yes I will be removing the existing standard brown brick interior hearth and most likely replacing the mantel with a different beam/mantel. I need the mason to open me up an exterior cleanout and attach the thimble. This little project will cost me some scratch so right now I am on a perpetual fact finding mission, daydreaming and redesigning weekly it seems.

No problem with careful planning and considering all the options and gotchas. That all will help make the final plan execute smoothly.

I run a 30 off of an insulated 25', 5.5" liner. It drafts a little too much, but it is what it is.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.